Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this

I generally play for upwards of 5 hours a day without issue, but today I sat down with my guitar just for about 45 minutes, and after I was done I noticed some pain (pain might even be too strong a word.... more like 'discomfort') in my wrist, the side where my pinkey is, radiating out from the joint where the bone in my forearm meets the heel of my hand. I usually do streching exercises and every few minutes while playing I let my hand go limp and 'shake it out'. Is this normal, or should I take a break until it goes away? I really don't want to risk any problems that may prevent or hinder my playing in the future.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 7, 2007,
i duno try iceing it
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Give it a rest for a day. Try playing again, and if its still bothering you, then you may want to give it a little while longer. Overuse injury (which is kind of what it sounds like) won't get better if you keep using it.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
Give it a rest for a day. Try playing again, and if its still bothering you, then you may want to give it a little while longer. Overuse injury (which is kind of what it sounds like) won't get better if you keep using it.

I was thinking along the same lines, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks bard

It's gonna be torture not playing for a few days, but I suppose it beats the alternative
I thought about it some more...is it a tingling or numb feeling? If thats the case, you should definitely rest for a few days...it could be either overuse of your tendons (IE, tendonitis) or something more serious with your nerves in your arm. The tendonitis pretty much only gets better with time, and nerves would be something you should go see a doctor for.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Yeah, it was defenately a tingling/throbbing sensation. It's subsided substancially since my inital post, but I can still feel it occasionally if I move my wrist the wrong way. In short, yeah, it feels like a nerve thing, like if you hit your funny bone and kept that going for a couple hours, only in my wrist. It doesn't feel strong enough to be of any real concern (IE; doc visit), in fact this is the first time I've ever felt it. I recall that right before I felt it, I was at work and I was standing up, holding my guitar at an ackward angle (without a strap) and trying a difficult chord shape I saw posted in another thread. It started about 15 - 20 mins after that, so I'm wondering if I didn't just overpronate in a bad direction or somthing.

I dunno, I just hope it's nothing too serious. Thanks again bard, and if anyone else has experienced this, please post.
Thanks for the link Patrick. I'm hoping it isnt anything on that list, but I suppose I should continue resting it...... 3 days and counting without putting my fingers on a fretboard
I doubt it is too serious by the sound of it, but that funny bone feeling (Im assume there is some pseudo-numbness there?) is certainely not the best of signs. To tell you the truth, I experience the same sensation at times, going from my wrist to my pinky. Its a bit of a concern, but I stretch, and dont play too intensely for too long. Try to notice that your wrist is not too bent when you play, and pay close attention to the muscles in your forearm and hand, and make sure there is no unneccessary tension. Numbnes/tingling is a possible sign of carpel tunnel, so just make sure you are using proper technique and stretching and you should be a-ok