First off, its been a LONG time since i was on this board, i kinda slowed down with my guitar playing a little. Had to sell my amp (R.I.P. Roland Jazz Chorus) to pay rent, and wasnt that motivated to play guitar anymore.

Then i came back around and started picking up the guitar more often, but my POS fender frontman wasnt cutting it, so it was time to finally buy some tube power! I went into GC pretty set on a Blues Jr. I played with the Valveking and liked it, then i went over to the Crate Palomino V16 and loved it, it had a much better crunch than the BJ, the cleans seemed very comparable (though i didnt get to crank them in store.) And it was 50 bucks cheaper.

I am very happy with it right now, and am LOVING having a tube amp finally. The only setback in the single channel operation, though the BJ was the same, so im looking into overdrive pedals now, any suggestions?
New amp thread and no pics??

Sorry, you Phail.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by anti_flag_army
First off, its been a LONG time since i was on this board, i kinda slowed down with my guitar playing a little. Had to sell my amp (R.I.P. Roland Jazz Chorus) to pay rent, and wasnt that motivated to play guitar anymore.

i see. u've gone through a hard time.
Quote by anti_flag_army
Then i came back around and started picking up the guitar more often, but my POS fender frontman wasnt cutting it, so it was time to finally buy some tube power! I went into GC pretty set on a Blues Jr. I played with the Valveking and liked it, then i went over to the Crate Palomino V16 and loved it, it had a much better crunch than the BJ, the cleans seemed very comparable (though i didnt get to crank them in store.) And it was 50 bucks cheaper.

very nice. Crates are nice. They have "more" crunch than the BJ, not necessarily better in my taste, but the cleans are pretty similar. Crate did a good job with that. and now it's $100 cheaper too.
Quote by anti_flag_army
I am very happy with it right now, and am LOVING having a tube amp finally. The only setback in the single channel operation, though the BJ was the same, so im looking into overdrive pedals now, any suggestions?

for that, use ur guitar's volume control. turn up the preamp volume (maybe called "gain) knob and then try turning down ur guitar's volume control to 2-3. it should clean up from pretty wild crunch, to a decent clean tone. i got a single channel BJ, and it works well.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
palominos are the secks, indeed. As for an OD, it really depends on the sound you want. What are some songs/artists you usually play?
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Quote by ECistheBest
Very nice. Crates are nice. They have "more" crunch than the BJ, not necessarily better in my taste, but the cleans are pretty similar. Crate did a good job with that. and now it's $100 cheaper too.

Yep. They do have a great clean (I'll probably be getting one soon), but I'm not a huge fan of the crunch, but all my distortion comes from pedals anyways.
Quote by PieceOfMind666
palominos are the secks, indeed. As for an OD, it really depends on the sound you want. What are some songs/artists you usually play?

I play mostly Punk/Ska stuff. I dont need really heavy distortion at all, i was thinking the Boss sd-1
I've been down that road too man. I'm really glad you got a decent amp.
I just had to bump up this thread, here i am 3 days later, and i LOVE this amp more and more every time i play it. I love all the different sounds i can get out of this very basic amp. Sounds that no SS could provide. I decided to crank it all the way today, and i was amazed that it really did sound good all the way up!

My only complaint is that there doesnt seem to be a huge amount of clean headroom, maybe a tube change can provide me with more? The gain is great, and i dont need it any heavier, its just perfect.

So i hope this helps anyone that might be considering this amp.