I love a lot of different music. I have a huge soft spot for melody, but I find myself listening mostly to Grunge and Punk type bands. This is my favorite kind of music. However, as a songwriter, I can't for the life of me seem to make a song that has that alternative/grungy sound (think early Foo Fighters or Stone Temple Pilots) without it sounding contrived. The songs that come most easily to me as a songwriter are, like, Power Pop songs...like Oasis or Weezer or something. Which, isn't a bad thing because I love this kind of music as well, but I'd like to be able to create some more aggressive type stuff and I just can't do it. I always end up with these melodic pop rockers. It's just kind of frustrating because sometimes it's like "Gee, I wanna actually rock out now".

Anyone else have a problem like this?
I sometimes listen to a style of music I'd like to write but it just doesn't seem to work. I'm just going to learn all I can about theory and apply what I hear in other music though. That's probably the way to go.
i used to be like that, i could only write punk-esque songs, but now i can write some real heavy metal riffs, just keep trying, listen to more diverse music, and jam with ppl who have the same tstes as you, and learn from them
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
learn how to play some of the bands you like, then analize what they are doing, and try to emulate and expand upon.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!