Ok soo.

I have $630 And am lookin to improve my rig and get some new sounds and better recording quality (i am in a band, I have a solo CD, yea) so first off heres my rig

- Marshal G30R CD Combo amp (mg speaker, 30 Watts)
- Dunlop Original crybaby wah wah
- Behringer 400W Eurolive Performer 2 way speaker
- Digitech RP250 multi-effects unit
- Rocktron talkbox
- Electro Harmonix Metal muff w/ top boost
- Fender deluxe players stratocaster (mexican)
- 2 radio shack ****ty dynamic vocal mics
- Labtec stick mic (used to record, its dirt cheap, like $5)

K, so. First off, I need to get a mixer.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB1832FXPRO-Mixer?sku=631232
thats the one I am currently looking at (but im bidding on a used one on ebay)

It seems like it meets all my wants, if anybody has used this...tell me the ups and downs.

Now, I'm looking at mics.

My recording quality is pretty ****ty. To tell the truth. And right now i can't record real drums cause i've tried with the mic and it sounds pretty bad. So I am thinking of taking a giant step up to using a condenser mic for the recording. So Far I have looked at mxl condenser mics, which have looked good.

Also, I am looking at buying an instrument mic in hopes that i can run it through the PA, not because it isn't loud enough, but because I think it will improve the sound quality some.

So here's what im looking for

a good condenser to record vocals/drums/guitar/bass (rock/heavy rock band) on a relatively tight budget, like $20-75 for the mic.

Same on the instrument mic, but for guitar mainly, but one that can also handle bass (need it to mic my bassist's 15W amp, lol)

I am in hopes that the band will go in on buying drum mics, because I do not want to spend like $200 getting all those.

And im also hoping that I will be able to mic my talkbox with the condenser/instrument mic. Because how the rocktron talkbox works, is the sound comes directly out of the tube. And it is only a 5W amplifier, for health purposes (sound very close to ears)

So heres what im looking at

Mixer - $150
Condenser Mic - $50
Instrument Mic - $50
=

Then with the money i have like (like $480) I hope to save up some money, buy those drum mics, and get a better amplifier.

Suggestions, commments, appreciateddddd
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
are you happy with the g30? cause imo, they sound pretty lifeless.

what type of music do you play?

because id upgrade my amp, my a shure mic and record into my computer.

looks like u're collecting a lot of intermediate equipment.

buy one good mic and record one guy at a time, lay down tracks using audacity.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by jj1565

I don't like the g30 much. But its what I have.

I play rock...

And I'd buy a new amp right away.

But my mom won't let me get an amp AND a mixer...says im spending too much money too quickly.

so I gotta wait a month or so on the amp, then I will get some like vox, crate, line 6, or fender amp
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
no no no.

you wont need the mixer. mics cost hundreds, the money ur spending isnt going to be enough to make a better recording.

single track recordings still sound better.

buy the amp. that;s your rig. the mixer is for the band.
take care of your rig first.

and dont buy crate or line 6.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

Exactly, go for a better amp and something like an SM-57, don't waste your money on stuff that isn't really going to help you get too much of a better sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
For amps, look at fender hot rods and Traynor tube amps, some people will say Laney VC's but i dont like them, if you would get an OD pedal then a fender blues junior or hot rod deluxe will be perfect for you, the deluxe might be too expensive and too loud. Traynor makes some nice tube amps too, theres a 20 watt one that would be nice and a 40 watt one depending on how loud you need. Check them out.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
A mixer and mics is not going to help your guitar/amp sound.
A new amp is not going to help your recording.

If you are happy with your RP250, it generally works better direct to a PA and you don't really need an amp. But if your not happy with it, then you need a better amp. I use a RP350 (as you really need the A/B switch for live), and its all I need. I record with it via my mixer as its just easier to adjust the levels.

If you are willing to record one track at once, you don't need but one or two mics and preamp, and a PC interface ($200 range). But you need decent mics ($100 range). To record the whole band live at once, it is not really a beginners task and you will need at least $1000 worth of equipment. Recording you band all at once is always going to sound worse.

I don't know what kind of PA you have, but mostly likely your band needs a mixer and some vocal processors. If you going to be the recording mistro, then you should probably pick a mixer you want and buy that. Otherwise whoever has the PA, should add a mixer to it (with a PC interface).

See my profile for some examples. I always record only a single instrument at a time.
hmmm well.

maybe i can get my singer to buy the mixer
since, he is the main one who uses it

...but he does have a PA speaker...

but anyway, I guess I should get a new amp and a USB mic.

But what amp???? bahhhhh.... can't decide....

Also i feel kinda dumb just having a PA speaker sitting around

maybe i should return the speaker?
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
But im in a predicament.

i don't think my vocalist will buy a mixer, and it would feel very dumb to have a PA speaker with no mixer.

And returning it would be pointless, it would cost like $80 to ship a $120 speaker. (i got free shipping for it to get sent here)

So. I know my vocalist would buy a really ****ty mixer, but anyways, I should probably get the mixer. Then buy the mic .

Problem: My parents will only let me buy the mixer. So if I buy the mixer I can't buy a mic. So therefore...

but....I think i might be best off for now.

Buying a USB mix + new amp...then splitting cost of mixer w/ band.

NOTE: I do solo recordings by myself...not just band records
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Why not get the money of them before you buy it? A new amp should give you far better recording quality than a new mixer and a $20-$75 mic. Why not pawn the speaker if its near new?
Why not get the money of them before you buy it? A new amp should give you far better recording quality than a new mixer and a $20-$75 mic. Why not pawn the speaker if its near new?[/QUOTE]
I dont have a mixer atm...just a speaker.

and i can't return the speaker, costs too much to ship.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Also what amp should I get...

I like anything from blues to metal...

I do a lot more lead guitar than rythm guitar, so I need something that sounds good for that...I have a distortion pedal w/ boost...

how would a metal distortion pedal sound on one of the honey blonde or w/e fender blues amps?
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
It seems like you're collecting a lot of low end stuff just for the purposes of having these things. Not a good idea IMO....most, if not all of this stuff, is still very low quality, and will not be helping you much if at all in producing a better recording.

Get yourself a new amp first. Don't jump into recording until your rig is done, and you have the money to lay out on it. It's an expensive process, and really should be done right, or not done at all. If you don't want to be laying out hundreds of dollars per mic, buy an interface, mic-pre's, you're better off just buying one mic to use as a room mic and record like that.

Just my opinion

As for the speaker, sell it locally. No shipping, and you get money out of it!
just for the record, I didn't buy those mics, 1 is my dad's old one, and 2 are my sisters.

The amp was a gift

The RP250 was my first pedal
John Petrucci

The one and only god.