Page 1 of 2
this is the stuff im saving up (im still thinking) to make my crappy strat into an evil Mettallic god

EMG-85
Fender Big Apple Strat Dual Humbucker Pickguard(Tortoise Shell)
DR Strings EHR11 HiBeam Nickel Heavy Electric Guitar Strings
Les Paul Style switch knob
Black Tremelo Arm
Peavey 6506
And maybe put my bands name on it

should i add or remove something from the list?
Last edited by Slacker996 at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
What kind of amp do ya got mang, out of curiosity? And are you planning to leave the other pickup (presumably a humbucker) as a passive?

A fender frontman 15g (im new to guitar) and ill replace all the pickups
i dont know about putting your bands name on it.... nothing last forever... this comer from experience.... ....

you should stick some locking tuners in the mix btw.... AND PLEASE POST PICS OF THE CHANGES
even so your tone will suck. get a new amp, then mod your guitar into a "evil mettallic god"
Quote by just17n8
i dont know about putting your bands name on it.... nothing last forever... this comer from experience.... ....

you should stick some locking tuners in the mix btw.... AND PLEASE POST PICS OF THE CHANGES

ya about that...do you have to scan the pic?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't spend that much on your guitar, then. Spend it on a nice amp. The Frontman is terrible. A new amp will affect your tone much more than new pickups. Besides, your EMGs might drive your Frontman too hard...Make it sound worse.

im also trying to save up for a Marshall MG15DFX cuz i might not have enough for a better amp
Quote by Slacker996
im also trying to save up for a Marshall MG15DFX cuz i might not have enough for a better amp

Also, if you don't have enough for a better amp...Why are you planning to buy all these things?? With all the money you'll have saved to buy those things, you'd be more than halfway towards a new amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Gah! That's not an upgrade...

then a Line 6 Spider III 120 Modeling Combo Amplifier
1. floyd roses have to be routed to be used to their full potential. Can you do this? don't say "yeah i have a chisel, a spoon, and some nails" cause thats not enough. you need some experience
2. mg's suck
3. emg's will suck with frontmans and mgs
4. your band might change. dont write its name on it
5. dont buy this stuff, get an amp
Quote by s.r.v.
1. floyd roses have to be routed to be used to their full potential. Can you do this? don't say "yeah i have a chisel, a spoon, and some nails" cause thats not enough. you need some experience
2. mg's suck
3. emg's will suck with frontmans and mgs
4. your band might change. dont write its name on it
5. dont buy this stuff, get an amp

did i say my guitar was a squier?
well a "crappy strat" technically is a squire, since no other companies make "strats", unless you are refering to it as a generic guitar shape.
EDIT:
Quote by forsaknazrael
Still NOT an upgrade, man....That's also a lame amp.

Quote by s.r.v.

Not to mention a good one costs at least 170 bucks, I believe.

That's a lot of money to drop when you're still playing through a Frontman...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Still NOT an upgrade, man....That's also a lame amp.

Ibanez TBX30R?
Quote by Slacker996
did i say my guitar was a squier?

wtf?? what was the point of this? lets start over. post this:

Budget:
Styles of music:
CURRENT gear (not what you're going to get):

then you will have provided some helpful info for a change.

just out of curiosity, how old are you?
Quote by forsaknazrael
It doesn't have enough gain on it's own for metal, IMO. You'd need a pedal to boost it there.

ok then Peavey Windsor Half Stack
Quote by forsaknazrael
Doesn't really have cleans.

Anyway, why don't you try those amps out? Don't decide just yet...

Again, look for a used Peavey 5150 on craigslist. It's awesome for metal. A lot fo bands you listen to have probably used or use one. Or the 6505.

well...that might be chosen(6506),list some more
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, a used 5150 will be cheaper, so look into that...It's what the 6505 used to be called.

Mesa Subway Rocket, Mesa F-50...I don't know. tons of stuff.

well i can just save up
look into a rack , my girl friend, she has a sweet rack
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Dude, just get a bigger MG or one of the cheaper Line 6's like you said instead of getting expensive gear seeing as you're a beginner. Also, don't blow all that money upgrading a Squier Strat bro, just save for an Epi Les Paul or even a four hundred dollar Ibanez or something. The sound wll be just fine especially since you're pretty new to guitar then a couple of years down the line you could upgrade to a Peavey and mod your own guitar.

Think about it.If you had a Marshall MG 100 and an Ibanez from the RG series you would sound awesome and it would cost you well under a thousand. You can't go from Squiers and Front-mans to Peavey's and modding overnight bud.

P.S you say you want to turn your guitar into a "Metallic God" or something. Just remember to keep an open mind when it comes to playing guitar or you'll never get along.

Good Luck!
Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Boss ME-50 muli-effects.
Fender Princeton 650 65-Watt amp.
Last edited by Fergality at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by Fergality
Dude, just get a bigger MG or one of the cheaper Line 6's like you said instead of getting expensive gear seeing as you're a beginner. Also, don't blow all that money upgrading a Squier Strat bro, just save for an Epi Les Paul or even a four hundred dollar Ibanez or something. The sound wll be just fine especially since you're pretty new to guitar then a couple of years down the line you could upgrade to a Peavey and mod your own guitar.

Think about it.If you had a Marshall MG 100 and an Ibanez from the RG series you would sound awesome and it would cost you well under a thousand. You can't go from Squiers and Front-mans to Peavey's and modding overnight bud.

P.S you say you want to turn your guitar into a "Metallic God" or something. Just remember to keep an open mind when it comes to playing guitar or you'll never get along.

Good Luck!
Wow. Terrible advice. The MG100 would NOT be an upgrade.
For the price of an MG100HDFX halfstack....he could get several different amps that would sound TONS better....
Several of the amps mentioned could be obtained for less than an MG100HDFX...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wow. Terrible advice. The MG100 would NOT be an upgrade.
For the price of an MG100HDFX halfstack....he could get several different amps that would sound TONS better....
Several of the amps mentioned could be obtained for less than an MG100HDFX...

I never said the half stack model and to be fair I'm not familiar with prices across the water but over here you can get an MG100 combo for about half a grand cheaper than any Peavey's in shops.

And an MG100 would be an upgrade from a little frontman in every respect stop exaggerating
Gear:

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Boss ME-50 muli-effects.
You make a $400 ibanez sound like it's amazing or something.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having good gear as a beginner; if you buy it yourself, it'll mean you like listening to yourself play, which means you'll practice more and get better.

And a nice, big MG only looks good. It's a pain to carry and it sounds horrible. It's totally unreliable.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
You make a $400 ibanez sound like it's amazing or something.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having good gear as a beginner; if you buy it yourself, it'll mean you like listening to yourself play, which means you'll practice more and get better.

And a nice, big MG only looks good. It's a pain to carry and it sounds horrible. It's totally unreliable.

No I don't make it sound like it's amazing I hadn't even entered that territory because the guy is a beginner playing a freakin Squier.

And the MG will sound far from horrible for someone who has more than likely been playing guitar for under a year and is quite obviously still learning.

"There's absolutely nothing wrong with having good gear as a beginner; if you buy it yourself, it'll mean you like listening to yourself play, which means you'll practice more and get better."

You say that like it's three simple little steps with facts set in stone which couldn't be further from the truth.
Gear:

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Boss ME-50 muli-effects.
threadstarter: you cant pick an amp on looks. go to GC and play them
Page 1 of 2