some of my mates and i want to start a band but I've read in many threads that being in a band with friends is a bad idea because you risk breaking your friendship with them. wouldn't being in a band with friends be beneficial? i mean, you already know things like how they would respond to certain situations, and their strengths and weakness's. plus you would have a good idea of what sort of music you would play right from the start as you would know everyones influences without having to discuss them. i was just looking for the community's ideas on this. does taking the risk usually pay off?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
I think the best is to form your band with friends, the closer, and the more often you see them better. For example, all my band mates are in the same classroom as I am, so we see each other everyday and we are tight as hell. Luck with your band
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
It depends. Being in a band is like being in a relationship, sometimes you get sick of each other and shout and there's the potential of losing the relationship and the friendship after. Being in a band with friends is no different than being in a band with a bunch of people you don't know. You still have to get your points and influences across without causing offence to any of the other members. Just go for it!
ok thanks for the input i will keep that in mind
I'm trying to start a band but I can't find a drummer. What would be the best way to find one?
It kinda depends. Most of my friends have crappy taste in music.... I couldn't be in a band with people I didn't really like though. The people in my prospective band are pretty cool, but we aren't close friends or anything.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
yea im having trouble finding a drummer too. we are trying to get into contact with one that we know of and have even tried talking one of my friends into learning. still, its one of the many fences to leap i spose.