Which of these guitars would be the better buy?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Showmaster-QMT-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=511953
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S470DXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519933

Im leaning to the ibanez, becuase the trem is nice, but the vintage trem with locking tuners is appealing too. And the 2 extra frets is nice. Abalone inlays are pretty sweet too, but i love the finish on the ibanez, and id like a mahog body also, but basswood is bad. And the single coil is nice to have, since i like to play some strat ****, like some yngwie or some rhcp. Havent played either of them though,so i have no idea what the bodies or necks feel like, and i like the face that the fender is a set neck, rather than bolt on. Does anyone have either of these guitars who can give me more details/opinions of them?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kaossurge
What type of music?

some classic rock, some shred, some modern, blues, and some occasional metal
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
If you aren't going to use a trem a lot, the Fender. I've seen both in person at various points and also think the Fender looks a lot nicer (not that it matters to you most likely ). Its features and construction are a bit better IMO too.
I like flame tops better, but low quality flame tops look like ass.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
the fender may not look as kool as the ibanez but do NOT EVER buy a guitar for looks k? u shud get the fender, the quailty is amazing and it stays in tune longer than they ibanez. im sure u'll love the fender
wow strange opinions; if i was going by looks id get the fender straight away

but mm w/e you think
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by kool98769
some classic rock, some shred, some modern, blues, and some occasional metal

Classic rock: Fender
Shred: Ibanez
Modern? Modern what?
Blues: Fender
Metal: Ibanez.

Honestly, it's a tie. But, I hate Fender, so I'd say the Ibanez.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by MurderWorship

Honestly, it's a tie. But, I hate Fender, so I'd say the Ibanez.

Why hate Fender?

Anyway, it's really preference here. The Ibanez will have a slimmer neck and the pickups on the Fender are better. On the other hand if you want to use the tremolo regularly (without making any modifications to the guitars) then the ZR trem as found on the Ibanez will be a better idea.

The best thing is to try them both in a store, because they'll have a different feel, also if you just visit a store you can try out some other stuff as well.

Lot's of trem work: Ibanez (or Fender with a roller/graphite nut and locking tuners)
Slim neck: Ibanez
Stock Pickups: Fender

It's all down to what you want.

Personally I'd get the Fender and install/have someone install a roller or graphite nut, locking tuners and maybe some new string trees. That way it'll have all the tuning stability you need.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 8, 2007,
Fender Fo Sho
founder of the MXPX group, pm me to join

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!

Wii number: 7054 3894 4223 2011
Quote by RHCPman202
the fender may not look as kool as the ibanez but do NOT EVER buy a guitar for looks k? u shud get the fender, the quailty is amazing and it stays in tune longer than they ibanez. im sure u'll love the fender

no.

locking trem +locking nut+ decent setup= stay in tune forever, even after whammy abuse.

try some whammy abuse with the fender and I can almost guarantee it will not be in tune. sure it has locking tuners and a graphite nut but the nut will still cause some friction even if it's only a little bit.

I personally would go for the ibanez.

slimmer neck

mahogany body

ZR Trem

bound fingerboard.

the only 2 downsides I can see with the ibanez are the less than amazing pickups and the fiddlyness of restringing the trem. The pickups aren't that bad and once you get used to doing a floating trem, you should be fine.

but then again it's up to you.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Why hate Fender?

Anyway, it's really preference here. The Ibanez will have a slimmer neck and the pickups on the Fender are better. On the other hand if you want to use the tremolo regularly (without making any modifications to the guitars) then the ZR trem as found on the Ibanez will be a better idea.

The best thing is to try them both in a store, because they'll have a different feel, also if you just visit a store you can try out some other stuff as well.

Lot's of trem work: Ibanez (or Fender with a roller/graphite nut and locking tuners)
Slim neck: Ibanez
Stock Pickups: Fender

It's all down to what you want.

Personally I'd get the Fender and install/have someone install a roller or graphite nut, locking tuners and maybe some new string trees. That way it'll have all the tuning stability you need.

I hate Fender because I hate the tone. I play metal, meaning single coils just don't cut it. And even their dual humbuckers sound bad to me. I also hate the necks. They just feel weird. Also, I hate the bridges, they're awful. It feels awkward resting my hand on it.

I just hate Fender on the whole, and just think Ibanez is better. That's just my opinion though.

And I disagree about Ibanez stock pickups. My Xiphos has DiMarzio DeActivator pickups stock, and they sound amazing.
Gear:

Quote by MurderWorship
I hate Fender because I hate the tone. I play metal, meaning single coils just don't cut it. And even their dual humbuckers sound bad to me. I also hate the necks. They just feel weird. Also, I hate the bridges, they're awful. It feels awkward resting my hand on it.

I just hate Fender on the whole, and just think Ibanez is better. That's just my opinion though.

And I disagree about Ibanez stock pickups. My Xiphos has DiMarzio DeActivator pickups stock, and they sound amazing.

On the other hand they have different guitars, made out of different woods and with different pickups, so there's bound to be one that suits you (if you like metal how about the John 5 or Jim Root tele).

Also they have different bridges. The original ones aren't the most comfortable ones to rest your hands on, but the 2-point synchronised trems are quite nice (I think). And as for the necks, it's all preference.

By the way, your Xiphos might have DiMarzios, but that doesn't mean that the other Ibanez guitars have them too. This particular guitar for instance has regular Ibanez pickups.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
On the other hand they have different guitars, made out of different woods and with different pickups, so there's bound to be one that suits you (if you like metal how about the John 5 or Jim Root tele).

Also they have different bridges. The original ones aren't the most comfortable ones to rest your hands on, but the 2-point synchronised trems are quite nice (I think). And as for the necks, it's all preference.

By the way, your Xiphos might have DiMarzios, but that doesn't mean that the other Ibanez guitars have them too. This particular guitar for instance has regular Ibanez pickups.

I've seen the John 5 and Root Flat top tele and strat. To be honest, I don't find either aesthetically pleasing. I just don't like the tele shape. I know that looks are the least important thing, but I try to find what I find looks cool first, then see what plays nicely and sounds great out of that list.

I've never played on a 2-point trem, so I don't know how those feel and cannot judge.

I know the Xiphos is an unusual guitar for Ibanez in parts and look, but I'm just saying they do offer nice stock pickups on some models.
Gear:

Quote by MurderWorship
I've seen the John 5 and Root Flat top tele and strat. To be honest, I don't find either aesthetically pleasing. I just don't like the tele shape. I know that looks are the least important thing, but I try to find what I find looks cool first, then see what plays nicely and sounds great out of that list.

I've never played on a 2-point trem, so I don't know how those feel and cannot judge.

I know the Xiphos is an unusual guitar for Ibanez in parts and look, but I'm just saying they do offer nice stock pickups on some models.

I know they do (J Custom, most JEMs, most PGMs, MTM1 and high end Prestige to name a few models/series with nice stock pickups) and besides, I don't hate Ibanez stock pickup, there just not that exciting usually.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 8, 2007,
To me I just think fenders are the most tasteless guitar ever but there are good guitar but just tasteless too.

Ibanez all the way!
Quote by The_Nightwish
To me I just think fenders are the most tasteless guitar ever but there are good guitar but just tasteless too.

Ibanez all the way!

I love Ibanez, I love the 80's and i like bright coloured guitars, but when it comes to being tasteless you can't blame fender for releasing pretty pointy pink and yellow guitars. As much as I like those, even I have to admit that they have a certain element of a lack in taste.
you think fenders are tasteless?

let me guess... you play a jackson, esp, ibanez, or schecter?

and if you can find it, malden stiger flair. they're quite rare though. i'd been keeping my eyes open for a showmaster, but saw one of these and got it instead. yum yum!

within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
even tho i love ibanez, im gonna have to go with the fender, mainly because of the pickups
i believe they make showmasters in a finish similar to that ibanez btw.
every key
every secret

That Ibanez looks nice.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
The Fender. Don't listen to anybody who says "I hate this brand so get the other." Closed-minded.

At the price, the Fender is a better deal, the neck is surprisingly slim, it has a high quality and is basswood+maple - IMO the best tonal combination of woods.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
this should be a poll~ I'd go for the Ibanez for the ZR trem, neck and the body

Bad pickups? just change them later one, you dont expect to install a floyd rose on a showmaster

i say the Ibanez seems like the better choice
p.s. the answer to all of these "which one?" threads is:

the one you like more. go play these guitars. you make the decision.
every key
every secret