seymour duncans have good ones. if your on a budget, say under $100, go for GFS, the quality isnt up to par, but its still better than nothing
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
wait a minute i have the answer. but it's expensive, and it's not a reissue
http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-1963-Gibson-Les-Paul-SG-PAF-Pat-Pickup_W0QQitemZ220155780743QQihZ012QQcategoryZ41429QQcmdZViewItem
or you can find a seymour duncan EVH pickup, cuz the pup EVH used was a paf and well, that is what it should be. if not, get a dimarzio PAF JOE
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Oct 7, 2007,
Unfortunately, the original Gibson PAF's were quite varied in tone and output. The modern pickups that most closely resemble the original PAF construction are the Gibson Burstbuckers. The only way to get an authentic PAF sound would be to buy several of each Burstbucker, throw all of them in a box, and randomly select two (with no preference for neck or bridge).

Functionally, the best replica's are the Burstbucker Pro's from Gibson, and The Mule from Bare Knuckle. Both are offset wound providing the easily attainable crunch that original PAF's are known for. Regarding output, the Pro's are more on par with the originals while the Mule's are a bit higher.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Unfortunately, the original Gibson PAF's were quite varied in tone and output. The modern pickups that most closely resemble the original PAF construction are the Gibson Burstbuckers. The only way to get an authentic PAF sound would be to buy several of each Burstbucker, throw all of them in a box, and randomly select two (with no preference for neck or bridge).

How so? They wax pot the Burstbuckers now, which IMO takes away the distinctive "honk" that an unpotted pickup has.

I tried Burstbuckers once (twice actually because both LP's I played had them) and I was very unimpressed. I found them to be quite muddy and dull, especially the neck. I was even given the oppurtunity to adjust the height, and I just couldn't bring myself to liking them.

For my money I'd go for the Seymour Duncan Antiquitys
Quote by Kendall

Functionally, the best replica's are the Burstbucker Pro's from Gibson, and The Mule from Bare Knuckle. Both are offset wound providing the easily attainable crunch that original PAF's are known for. Regarding output, the Pro's are more on par with the originals while the Mule's are a bit higher.

Eh, if I were spending that much on pickups, I'd skip it on the Gibsons, and go with Stephens Designs pickups. The clips they have are simply orgasmic.
^+1 on the Stevens Designs. Wolfetone and Mojave make some nice sounding ones too if you're looking in that range.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Stephen Designs pickups. recommended by CorduroyEW. and i support his opinion.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
+2 on Dave Stephens' pickups. His PAF clones are probably the best in the business.

I own a set of Dave's Mojo V single coils, btw. They're the best single coils I've ever heard. His customer service is great. Just expect to wait about 2 months for your pickups, especially if he's busy.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 7, 2007,
Fralin PAF
Dimarzio PAF
Seymour Duncan '59
Gibson '57 Classic/Plus
Gibson Burstbucker/Pro
eBay some T-tops or original PAFs

lots of people make PAFs
Also Bareknuckle Mules. I will install them on my bday next week. Tim Mills of BK has actually spoken with Seth Lover himself when he made them!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by forsaknazrael
Eh, if I were spending that much on pickups, I'd skip it on the Gibsons, and go with Stephens Designs pickups. The clips they have are simply orgasmic.

I would customize my own High Orders and pocket the difference .

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Erock503
^+1 on the Stevens Designs. Wolfetone and Mojave make some nice sounding ones too if you're looking in that range.

I have one of the Mojave pickups (slightly hotter PAF-style) & it's the best pickup I've ever used for what I want (old VH tone,very articulate/dynamic/responsive, but clear-not muddy).
I used to have a pair of original PAFs from a 1960 ES 335 (sold them years ago ), & the Mojave actually sounds better than either of those did, but as stated above, there were lots of variations from pickup to pickup back then.
The one in the ebay link above is not a PAF, but very well may sound very similar. The originals have a very small decal that says "Patent Applied For", w/ no patent number.
Thanks for the heads up on the Stephens pickups. I'll definitely have to check those out.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
How so? They wax pot the Burstbuckers now, which IMO takes away the distinctive "honk" that an unpotted pickup has.

Also, the distinctive (and unbearable) squeal.
I was gonna get SDs, but the 12 month week wasn't really a turn on...

Then I figured that BK was a better choice, since I heard more about them and they were U.K. based.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Oct 8, 2007,