Page 1 of 2
So to sum this up, my friend told me he'd pay me $1700 to build him a sweet death metal tube amp. I'm planning to build a Marshall 18 watt clone anyway, so I figured I'd get started in the whole amp side of electronics. So does anyone know of some layouts or schematics of amps that I could build/customize to fit his needs?
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wut is a luthier? im assuming it has to do with the luthern church
There's a mile difference between an 18 watter and a high-gain tube amp. Hope your friend's patient.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Haha I know. I told him I'd need time to learn the circuits and everything and he said it was fine.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
That's what I told him, but he already has a Dual Rec and was talking about buying a Krank. So I told him about Kranks and how they just aren't up to par with amps for the same price. But he's still set on a Krank. So after we started talking about me getting into building amps and stuff, he told me if I built an amp better than a Krank he'd pay me $1700 for it. He's got money to play with, if you guys haven't noticed yet.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
^yes just don't let him see this thread b4 he pays for it
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
make it all bare
or a glass case
ehhhhhhhhh *extremely unhelpful* i know take like distortion pedals apart and stick them inside the amp and have like 8 gain stages
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by s.r.v.
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm last amp called the "heather" only $670 so you make like $1000

Hmmm, I might do that. I wish there were clips though, I have to be sure its right for him before I blow $670 and him not like it.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Quote by .fallen
make it all bare
or a glass case
ehhhhhhhhh *extremely unhelpful* i know take like distortion pedals apart and stick them inside the amp and have like 8 gain stages

I don't think that doing that would qualify as having a ton of gain stages, I think that would just be like having a bunch of distortion pedals in your amp.

But I think that glass case idea sounds cool.
Make it all clear plexiglass! It'd be way more durable.

I think that "Heather" would be the best bet though.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
This thing has gain out the wazoo, so I wouldn't attempt it unless you have built or worked on gainy amps before. Our prototypes were surprisingly quiet and the switching was quiet and pop-free. So, it really is possible to build this thing.

it sounds metal enough
Yeah, but better than a Krank? Probably. But I'm still gonna try to get clips out of him or find somebody that's made one.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
There are plenty of schematics sites out there. Try this one. The Free Information Society It would be cool to build an amp with a Mesa Triaxis as the preamp section! That way there would be plenty of different sounds at his fingertips. But I am sure it would be pretty difficult to do.

Also, see if you can find some Madison amp schematics out there. Several death metal bands use them. http://www.madisonamps.com
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
What I'd be doing is build a clean booster running into a Dr. Boogie for the pre-amp, then use a 'simple' 100w power amp section. Immediate off-your-tits distortion and volume
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^^Like an Engl or Framus or something? I'm looking for schematics now, they're all huge :[

^Yeah, but I'm thinking more along the lines of really ballsy heavy distortion, not just straight up gaingaingain. Think At the Throne Of Judgment, Conducting from the Grave, Behemoth, Necrophagist type stuff.
That's what we play.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Quote by don't eat baby
^^Like an Engl or Framus or something? I'm looking for schematics now, they're all huge :[

^Yeah, but I'm thinking more along the lines of really ballsy heavy distortion, not just straight up gaingaingain. Think At the Throne Of Judgment, Conducting from the Grave, Behemoth, Necrophagist type stuff.
That's what we play.

With a booster running and the pre-amp running at 18V, you'll be able to get some ridiculously ballsy distortion. Some careful EQing will help too.
Scrap the 100W tube idea - if you're playing something that heavy, SS will be fine for the poweramp. Something like 200W SS with a good power supply will get you some serious volume, providing you're running it into a good set of speakers.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Link to this Dr. Boogie preamp?
So you're saying running a boost with the Dr. Boogie and a SS 100-200 watt power amp would sound just as good if not better than a 100 watt tube amp?
Also has to have a nice solo channel, I want to hear those sweeps :]
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Here. There's basically every bit of information you could want on that circuit there.
As you're going to be playing ridiculously distorted, the impact a tube will have on your tone won't be as easily heard. You could always use the booster as your Lead channel...
Sweet, I'll definitely consider that. But since he already has a Dual Rec, it might sound pretty similar...
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wehn building an amp remeber to concider the types of tubes and such , im also looking at building one, if you do try the heather kit, which looks nice, tell me how it goes
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
You could just like make two marshall plexi things (one for yourself and one for him) but stick something like the circuit from a nice overdrive//disortion pedal in there he may not know the difference if he wants a Krank
^^That reminds me, if I do the Heather kit, should I go for the EL34s or the KT88s?

^Haha, well I want it to sound good too, I'm in the band with him.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
have you looked at ceriatone.com at all? You could use one of their marshall platforms as a starting point.
el34 has good smooth distortion when overdriven, kt88 has super dynamics punch and clarity

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by hvymtl939
have you looked at ceriatone.com at all? You could use one of their marshall platforms as a starting point.

I have. I don't know enough about amp circuits yet to be able to base a high gain metal amp off a marshall 18 watt, you know?

Quote by t heff
el34 has good smooth distortion when overdriven, kt88 has super dynamics punch and clarity

Alright thanks, that helps.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
JCM800 (Ceriatone) with added gain stages?

^ Use the
And what are you posting anyway?
did someone just post random photos of gear ?

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
tylerjenns.......wtf?
did you post in the wrong thread or something?

And Mr. Hankey, I was considering that too. Elaborate a bit on what it means to add gain stages though, you mean more tubes or transistors in the circuit? I'm still a total noob to all this.
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
Quote by s.r.v.
it sounds metal enough

So does the spider III.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
So does the spider III.

no!!!!!!the spider 3 does not sound metal enough!

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Page 1 of 2