A little background here. I've been playing for about a year (give or take) and have been playing through the same crap Fender Frontman that came with my Squire. I've upgraded the guitar to a ESP Viper 100FM, which in turn I'm gonna end up upgrading again soon. So, recently I've started to jam with my friends, and I'm looking for an amp that can compete with drums, bass, another guitar, vocals, etc. As far as the music I'm playing, it's mostly somewhere in between Metallica, A7X, and the edgier Sum 41 (on the hard side) and a Audioslave/Pink Floyd/soft GNR light side. Anyway, the Orange Crush 30R caught my eye, and I'm leaning towards that and a distortion pedal. Some other amps I looked at and like were Marshall MGs (*flame shield*) and a Vox AD30VT. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Budget = $350 - $400
Quote by J.A.M
On a previous occasion, a middle aged black african man proceeded to remove my betrothed bicycle from my possession.

Quote by silent caution
sex with a pregnant woman? isnt that like putting gas in car you already wrecked?
To be honest, they Crush sound great, and look sweet. however, I think they are extremely pricey. they are also for low/mid gain only, so you may have issues with Metallica and A7X tones. You would be better off with a Cube or Vox due to the versatility. Nothing wrong with the Orange, its just a one trick pony IMO.
Thanks a lot for the great feedback

Alright, so two votes for the Vox... any other input?
Quote by J.A.M
On a previous occasion, a middle aged black african man proceeded to remove my betrothed bicycle from my possession.

Quote by silent caution
sex with a pregnant woman? isnt that like putting gas in car you already wrecked?
a roland cube or a vox valvetronix XL would definitely be your best best.
don't bother with the orange, with 30 watts SS you won't even be heard.
Again, thanks for the feedback.

After a little more searching, I came across the Peavey ValveKing 112. If I stretch my budget a little bit, this looks like a pretty good option as well. Any thoughts about that?
Quote by J.A.M

Quote by silent caution
^ Valvekings are decent amps, but some complain that they sound poor stock - this is almost completely remedied by a speaker and valve change.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeah with the valveking you'll be heard and at BIMM we have the valveking - its not too bad tbh. either that or the vox - both aren't too shabby.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
^ definitely, i heard a VK with celestions of some sort (i think it was those g12k-100 or whatever) and a tube swap, sounded very good. I think if you put in a v30 (about $60-$80 which of course could be over time not straight away as you probably won't notice the lesser tone anyway) and a set of tubes setting you back a similar amount it is a very good amp for the price.

Stock, it's not as good as some other tubes in a not too much higher price range, but it's not as bland as most people make it out to be, I quite liked it and uldhppi will strongly defend it too. good amp for a good price, do it
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
You could probably get a Crate Palomino for that price, which is waaaaay better than a Valveking. I don't even know why Peavey bothered with those amps.

Anyway, Palominos can handle everything up to hard rock perfectly, and with some tweaking and an overdrive into metal territory easily.
ill vouch for the 30r since i have one. its actually 35 watts not 30, haha sorry i had to. and for 35 watts, is stupidly loud. i think it can keep up with drums (have not tried yet but i will) but you cant gig with it alone, although mic'd itll do just fine.

but for what you want to play, go with the vox. i play alot of punk style stuff and it works for me.

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
Quote by Don_Humpador
You could probably get a Crate Palomino for that price, which is waaaaay better than a Valveking. I don't even know why Peavey bothered with those amps.

Anyway, Palominos can handle everything up to hard rock perfectly, and with some tweaking and an overdrive into metal territory easily.

Im going to second the Palomino, I just picked one up and its amazing. And it will for sure keep up with drums. Like stated, you will need an OD pedal to get into metal territory. And it fits right into your price range ($350)
Quote by The red Strat.

don't bother with the orange, with 30 watts SS you won't even be heard.

The crush actually is loud enough for gigging, although some people take everything popular posters say and regurgitate wherever it may apply. My VC15 is not much louder than my 10 watt crush and definitely has a lower clean break-up volume, so I use the crush for cleans.

In other words, if you haven't tried the items in question, shut the fuck up
Quote by Horlicks
The crush actually is loud enough for gigging, although some people take everything popular posters say and regurgitate wherever it may apply. My VC15 is not much louder than my 10 watt crush and definitely has a lower clean break-up volume, so I use the crush for cleans.

In other words, if you haven't tried the items in question, shut the fuck up

i actually said that from personal experience with lower wattage SS amps
i jammed with a mate that had a 30 watt cube and he didn't even get over the drums, and i can tell you it wasn't a loud drummer.
i didn't think of the orange british rating system though, so it could gig maybe, but it'll sound like crap turned up anyway.

so sorry for the misinformation people, but in my defense, it won't sound good anyway when gigging.
Quote by The red Strat.
i actually said that from personal experience with lower wattage SS amps
i jammed with a mate that had a 30 watt cube and he didn't even get over the drums, and i can tell you it wasn't a loud drummer.
i didn't think of the orange british rating system though, so it could gig maybe, but it'll sound like crap turned up anyway.

so sorry for the misinformation people, but in my defense, it won't sound good anyway when gigging.

Quote by anti_flag_army
Im going to second the Palomino, I just picked one up and its amazing. And it will for sure keep up with drums. Like stated, you will need an OD pedal to get into metal territory. And it fits right into your price range ($350)

im going with him as well.

i have the newer Crate tube amp (a v18 112) and its got loads of gain, perfect for classic rock. although for one, imo, these new Crates sound more harsh and "garbly" with the gain up than the Palomino's, and you should change the stock tubes too
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
oh i just realised, you can;t put a v30 in the VK 112, i don't think so anyway, but there are other good 100w rated speakers out there
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^ the 112 is only 50 watts, so it should be grand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah yes so it is!
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?