well i just started a band and were in need of some mics but i dont know **** about them or how to set them up

so i was wondering..
if i buy a mic could i hook it up to my back up guitar amp?
does it run off of guitar cables?
whats a good brand mic for a reasonable price (under 80 bucks)
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
you usually need a pa system, but if you're strapped for cash, you can do what i do and get a female xlr to male 1/4 inch adapter that allows you to plug a mic into a guitar amp.
you do need an xlr cable, though.
get a shure pg series. they're like 40-70 bucks and pretty good for the money. if you want, go for the gold standard sm58 for $90 which is one of the best vocal performance mics around
You're asking for vocal mics for live shows right? Assuming you are, you could plug into the guitar amp as a last resort, but the sound quality really isn't that great. Save up for a p.a. system, but this could be a good way to tide you over, I guess.
Quote by petey gunnz

yes, that cable would work. but i wouldnt use a guitar amp if you can help it. a bass amp would be better, and a keyboard amp would probably be better than that. if you really must, a guitar amp will get you some volume, but i wouldnt use it for anything other than a practice. gigs, i would definatly rent a PA if the venue doesnt have one.

as for mics, live vocals are always nice through a shure sm-58. its a bit over your price range, but you can try for one used. they are built like freaking tanks, so going used shouldnt be an issue there. i have a sm-57 which is pretty much the same (no windscreen, so better for amps) and the thing is solid as a rock and ive found it works for vocals well enough. so see if you can find a used sm-58, you shouldnt regret it.
Here are the moderately-priced mics I'm thinking of buying . . .

• Audio-Technica AT3035 ($180) A moderately-priced, large-diaphragm, side-address, condenser mic. Seems decent enough for studio vocal recording, although, I'm mainly going to use this as only an input to a vocoder (but, get an SM58 instead, for live vocals for use in sound reinforcement applications).

• Shure Beta 57A ($140) An "updated" SM57, the venerable amp cabinet-miking mic. Anyone try the Shure Beta 57A yet? According to its decription, "The Shure Beta 57A microphone improves on the design of the favorite Beta 57 to optimize warmth and presence." I would use this to mic cabinets or acoustic guitars.

• Rode M3 ($200) This end-address, dual-powered condenser (phantom or internal 9V) looks interesting for miking acoustic guitars.

So, I'm thinking of pairing the the AT3035 with either the 57A or the M3 for dual-miking acoustic guitars. Any opinions on any of these mics for these applications?
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by petey gunnz
well i just started a band and were in need of some mics but i dont know **** about them or how to set them up

so i was wondering..
if i buy a mic could i hook it up to my back up guitar amp?
does it run off of guitar cables?
whats a good brand mic for a reasonable price (under 80 bucks)

Yeah, it'll work. You'll need a female XLR-to-male instrument (1/4" mono phone) adapter, and a low-Z to high-Z inline impedence-matching transformer (about $10 at any Guitar Center).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto