Yet another amp thread:

Me and my brother are trying to start up a band. He owns a 5150 II, and is basically the lead player. I'll be playing some rhythm guitar and singing. The only amp I own is an AC30 custom classic.

What my question is, is what would be a good high gain head to compliement the gear we already have. To be more versatile, I'd like an amp that sounds different than the 5150 for recording etc...Basically we like 70s, 80s, and 90s rock.

I'm basically open to anything, it will be played with a Marshall 1960AV cab, and I'd be willing to spend up to around $1800 tops.

Some ideas I had: Randall Warhead, Krankenstein, Marshall JVM 410, Engl Powerball or Fireball, Soldano Avenger... Marshall MG100 (just kidding)

Thanks for any input!
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
mesa mark IV
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
****, you guys are pretty blessed.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Carvin V3.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
mark IV
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Thanks for the replies, I'll have to see if I can test both of those out. The V3 sounds interesting, as it's about half the price of the Mark IV.
I havnt personally tried myself, but the mesa mark IV is known and always praised as being able to get some real nice clean-tones, all the way up to REAL high gain too. And can do everything in between very nicely too.
look at the framus cobra, framus dragon, bogner uberschall. You might have to go used, but their all amazing

The mark lV is supposed to be amazing as well.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I know that everyone always rips on them, but a store in town said they'd trade my vox for a krankenstein head. As one of my objectives is getting a tone different than a 5150, does this seem like a good idea.
^ If you're aiming on a poor deal, go for it.

My recommendation would be a Mesa Stiletto. They're a British-voiced, reasonably high gain amp but not toally br00talz, can get pretty hard though. It's got tonnes of tone switching and, being british voiced and capable of Classic Rock and upwards, I imagine perfect for Van Halen etc. But it may well be a wee bit on the lighter side of heavy rock.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ If you're aiming on a poor deal, go for it. QUOTE]

Lol, I just emailed them, they said they just sold it yesterday
Thanks for the input everyone, I ended up going with a VHT Pitbull 50/CL. Hopefully I'll receive it next week.