Ok so i have a few questions about the JCM 800. Mainly about the reissues they've bought out. There's the Kerry King one with KT-88 tubes and the normal one with just EL34's... right? So my mian question is whats the difference in tone? I'd imagine the KK one would be more metal voiced.. but does this mean it cant do the other famous tones of the JCM 800?

Also i know to get the best out of them you have to crank them. I will be using this for small/medium sized gigs and rehersal but i also do a bit of recording at home. At the recording volume levels will it suck? Or just not be as great? Also how does it sound with an attenuator?

Yeah thats pretty well it. I'm looking for an amp that can do classic rock, hard rock and metal (only really metallica and tool as far as metal goes)

Sorry to make so many threads about amps but its hard to find them all in shops to test out in aus. and i wanna find out if its worth the 200km trip to test them out.
for your needs, i would suggest the cheaper marshall MG100HDFX. it is a 100 watt head with built in chours, delay, flanger and chorus/delay. it has four settings : clean/crunch for the clean channel and OD1/OD2 for the dirty channel. it also has a kick ass contour control for really scooped out riffage sutiable for metallica or whatnot.
Quote by Jhachey22
for your needs, i would suggest the cheaper marshall MG100HDFX. it is a 100 watt head with built in chours, delay, flanger and chorus/delay. it has four settings : clean/crunch for the clean channel and OD1/OD2 for the dirty channel. it also has a kick ass contour control for really scooped out riffage sutiable for metallica or whatnot.

No, just no.
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
Quote by Jhachey22

are you nuts....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
This is all very well that we can point out that and MG is not what i want. I know this. Anyone that asks about a jcm 800 knows not to get a MG. Can anyone help with my issue though?
for your needs, a JCM800 would be a great amp. yes, it does have a master volume and it will have preamp distortion when u turn up the preamp volume. but with marshall, generally when you go older down the timeline, you can see that they rely on the powertube saturation as far as you go back on the marshall history. plexis needed cranked to achieve a nice fat marshall crunch.

JCM800s are half way between modern JVM, and the plexis. they get decent distortion from preamp, but they still rely on the powertube saturation. attenuator might be a nice thing to go with it.

for marshall freaks, i made this post very general. yes, marshall crunch depends on the loudness. that is true. but if u crank it, the speakers come in play too. with a 4x12 with well broken in greenbacks, it would sound great. but imagine a 2x12 with MG speaker. ugh. and modern JVMs, JCM200s, JCM900s rely on powertube saturation too. i know what it's all about.

about the MG recommendation, give him time. he'll get a better ear in about 6 months.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
This thread is an instant classic just because of that first post.

If I were you, I'd hunt down a used 2204 series 50W, and get an attenuator. I am assuming you have an OD, which you may want if you're looking at the KK model.
yea. used JCM800s come on ebay at around $500 if ur lucky. so hunt those down!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ibanezrg350ex
No, just no.

i was just thinking the EXACT SAME THING as i read it and i was wondering how long it would take for me to scroll down the page and find someone who said that
Thanks guys. Another question though. My set-up is basically going to go Guitar into an AB box and then into my twin and whichever amp i get. Now i've heard some things about when i switch channels it'll **** up or something? What is this? Whys it happen? And can it be fixed?
^it shouldn't **** up or anything. switching the amps right? it shouldn't.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah. This was a longtime ago but its come back into my head now cos im scared im going to spend $3000 on a new amp head, cab and attenuator for it not to work with my beloved Twin.. I probaly just read it wrong. Do you have any good attenuator suggestions?
Quote by nirvallica
Do you have any good attenuator suggestions?

Weber
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The Kerry King one gets nice and pissed with the added "Beast" function, and almost total silence with the noise gate as well. My friend played one one day and he got some great tones out of it, even though he doesnt play metal, it's an 800 with more gain

It isnt more "metal" voiced unless you hit the beast button.
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild