It'll mainly be used for Metal, and Rock. Preferably under $400, as it'll just be used at home, and maybe a good decent amp too.

I play a wide range of music, from jazz to classical, but Metal mainly.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
if you didnt have such a low price id definatly say try for a rickenbacker for metal..........but for that either a MIM fender or squire........mabye an ibanez.....there good for metal

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Well, all together I'd be willing to spend $800. This is just for jamming in my room over some of my riffs and what not. No real gigging.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I'd say, stay on the Fender Jazz Bass for your bass, you're seriously not going to find a more versatile bass. There's a reason why it's one of the most popular basses around

As far as amp, there's a lot of places for you to go with $350ish.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777

this one will treat you nice, but there's dozens of 100 watt, 15 in. combos in that price range.
Oh yeah go with what BlueShox said. I only saw you were playing mainly metal, but yeah the jazz would be just about perfect.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50