well i don't think i'm up to par where i should be after almost 3 years... I think my main problem is if i can't learn a riff with in a few tries i give up... or have the time i just play wank blues till i get bored. Are they any songs/riffs that would be a good referencepoint to about what skill level I am? thanks...
Favorite Artists/Bands
1.John Mayer
2.Smashing Pumpkins
3.Moneta
people learn certain things faster.

For example rhythm was always very easy for me but playing fast took time, mainly because I didn't learn scales.
If you could learn Eruption, it probably would spark some inspiration. It's not terribly complicated anyway.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
what can you play right now?
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
I have the same problem. Been playing for three years and the most complicated song I can play is Demon of The Fall by Opeth.
Yeah , I've been playing for 3 years too!

Same problem, I don't feel up to par with where I should be.

Then one day I went to Guitar Center and I found out I'm actually a lot better then I thought I am.

The key to playing good music is to just have fun and enjoy it. Theory helps a lot to, but not nearly as much as the energy you put into it.

The energy comes through your music at transfers onto the listeners. So as long as you're having fun and enjoying what you're playing the listener probably would to.

Also for those crappy days, I'm gonna start taking some Jazz lessons to help my development. It'd be a good idea for you to take some lessons in a complicated genre like Jazz or Classical.

All the techniques you'd learn would help you a lot, no matter if you're a speed metal head or a punker.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Master of Puppets is advanced??

Walk isn't easy?

I have the same problem. I think most of the time you do anything you are harder on yourself than anyone else is.
I have the same problem too, sam amount of time. my most complicated song is Paradise city ive been learning alot of theory though... play eruption?

EDIT: I just listened to the song for the first time in like, 3 years. all you have to do is be good at tapping?
Last edited by captainjackass at Oct 8, 2007,
Eruption scares me....
Favorite Artists/Bands
1.John Mayer
2.Smashing Pumpkins
3.Moneta
I don't judge myself based on what songs I know - actually, I rarely bother to learn songs unless my band wants to cover them.

I have a good time writing and playing music, and learning more about theory and new techniques. It honestly doesn't matter to me if other people consider me "good," and it doesn't bother me if others think I'm "bad." I have fun with it.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
I don't judge myself based on what songs I know - actually, I rarely bother to learn songs unless my band wants to cover them.

I have a good time writing and playing music, and learning more about theory and new techniques. It honestly doesn't matter to me if other people consider me "good," and it doesn't bother me if others think I'm "bad." I have fun with it.

exactly, if you are having the time of your life playing music, you are already better than a lot of guitarists out there.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
**** riffs and songs, they're nice but be original learn the pentatonics/blues scales, then modes, then the different variations of those modes. Its what I did and I never get bored of playing.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox