anyone who has, wants, has thought about buying a guitar with a bigsby or bigsby style vibrato or putting one on a guitat they already have, post here. questions about installation? operation? post here. think they're totally sweet? post here. think they suck? shut your mouth.

tell us all your interesting bigsby-installed creations. and post pics!!!

until then, i'll be warbling a note for ya
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
hey man
i recently managed to convince my dad to let me ''borrow''his old school Ibanez SG from like 1974
i got it restrung and the action and stuff but the guy who did it made the action so low that it rattles a bit
jut wondering if you know how i can change the action on coz it's got a bigsby bridge and dont want to mess it up
cheers
I put a B5 on my Gibson LP special, its awesome
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I put a B5 on my Std Tele and the bridge is a cheesy piece of crap. The saddles screws loosen by themselves. The angle of the strings from the trem to the bridge pulls the outside strings in and the bridge only has these crappy ridges that won't keep the strings in place. The saddles get lopsided from the off-center strings. And the bridge rattles. I've like to put a roller bridge on it, or at least something with more secure saddles. Two thumbs down for this piece of junk. Killed my sustain.
i replaced the Fender Floating Unit with a Bigsby on my Fender Jag-Stang.

i love it! things stay in tune way better than before, and usually dont come detuned unless im giving it wild go.

id say get one.. after i got mine a buddy saw it and just liked the looks.. so he bought one and he was impressed with its performance
penis, the action is in the bridge, neck angle and nut. nothing to do with the bigsby. i'm assuming since its an sg copy that it had a TOM (gibson) style bridge unit. if you have adjusted teh thumbscrews all the way to the body and it's still high, check the bow of the neck. if the neck's straight and it's still high, replace the nut. if you've done all of this and it's STILL high, and you're sure the neck is straight and the nut is normal, consider replacing the bridgepiece. might as well get a roller while you're at it. if it came stock with the bigsby, it might have the fulcrum rocker bridge. if it does, they suck. get a roller.

fly, im sorry your bridgepiece sucks. but that has no bearing on the bigsby. i assume the bigsby is still doing exactly what its supposed to, if installed correctly. get a roller.

hippie, same here. one of these days i want to put a bigsby on my jagmaster. what all is involved with replaceing the fender standard trem? does it just cover the cavity? i guess you'd have to fill the cavity with wood to mount the bridgepiece, right?

oh, and a tip for EVERYONE with a bigsby or trem in general: put some graphite paste on every part the strings tough, more specifically the nut. you will be amazed at your tuning stability. this works for fender style trems too.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
fly, im sorry your bridgepiece sucks. but that has no bearing on the bigsby. i assume the bigsby is still doing exactly what its supposed to, if installed correctly. get a roller.
The bridge was part of the Bigsby package. If it was an add-on then I wouldn't mention it. If the Bigsby was wider then the strings would hit the bridge straight in stead of at an angle. The trick is to try to find the right after market bridge since Bigsby didn't see fit to provide a good one.
what i did was order another floating tailpiece (so i could keep the original).. then i tore off the vibrato bar (the floater).. and just installed the bigsby below it.. ill get some pics into my profile in a sec
I got one of the B-500 Installed. Sure it was cool and shnazzy at first. But when first string change came up, i dont know if its just me or what, IT WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS. Took me a LONG ass time to do it. Then half a year later id still have the same strings cause i'd hate to change them! And if you like metal or heavy rock, i really dont think they are good for that, sure you can bomb a little on it and stays in tune ( somewhat ) but you cant really DIVE bomb like on a floyd rose. Seems to me it might just be a light vibrato instead of alot of heavy stuff like Steve Vai type of tremoloing.... heres a pick..... Looks sharp though!

and a close up.

Bogner Überschall
Marshall 1960A
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12
Gibson SG Standard
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
how exactly would i put a bigsby on an sg, would i have to do any drilling to the guitar body?(it's a tailpiece and a TOM, not just the two combined but both, if that matters)
A TRICK FOR STRINGING THE BIGSBY! Bend the end of the string with they eyelet into a c shape so it hooks around the bar and over the peg. Then tune. MUCH easier.
Les Paul Black Beauty Custom 3 Pickup
Bigsby B7g vibrato
3 EMG's 85/81/85

Martin D-28
yeah teh first string change was indeed a pain in the arse. but yeah, bend the eyelet part and you're good. it took me all of about 4 strings to get it down good (i bent the rear end of the string around a bic pen) and the last two were a breeze. still a wee more time consuming than normal, but worth it IMO.

yeah, bigsby is not for metal. rockabilly, blues, country maybe. but no metal. unless you are just bada%% like that.

yeah teh bridge that comes with the bigsby looks ****e. but for a tele, i don't know if you have many more options. sucks, cause teles look fantastic with bigsbys.

LIVINGONTHEEDGE: SGs are about teh easiest bigsby installs EVER. so you're lucky. EASILY done at home. will involve screwing screws into your beloved SG (it was hard for me too). 4 to be exact. the way i did it was remove the tailpiece, lay the bigsby flat on the SG, hiding the tailpost holes as best as possible, line it up as best as you can with the bridge (no extremely precise measurements required, the bridge takes care of all the precision. just eye it up and you'll be fine) on centerline, and start screwing. whole process took about 30 minutes with a pain in teh arse string change. you'll get used to the string changes though.

oh and hippie, i thought you meant strat-style trem. i should have paid attention. looks hot though. i wish i had a real jag or jazzmaster.... i wnder of there is some way to frankenstein a bigsby over the cavity of a strat style trem.... any theories?

EDIT: ok, apparently it's possible and done enough to where vintagevibeguitars.com makes a pickguard for it.
Attachments:
pg_assem3.jpg
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Last edited by Y0UNGBL00D at Oct 9, 2007,
I've been really interested in a bigsby, mostly for the looks and the fact that it's not my floating trem that won't hold a note in tune for crap.

How is the bigsby? Does it stay in tune? Does it have a good range? worth it?
with some graphite on the nut, the tuning stability is great. wont get you dive bombs, but you can bomb to the extent of its range and have it snap back in tune.

i was thinking, if i put this roller bridge on my strat style trem, and just ran the strings from the bigsby B5 through the string mounting holes it would work. especially if i drilled them out, rounded them off and threw some graphite grease in there.

ok the image isnt loading, so heres the link.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/1/Schaller_Non-tremolo_Roller_Bridges/Pictures.html#details
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
I have a question about the Bigsby style trem. I love hardtails myself, but I was thinking about buying a Gretsch projet, and I just think a Gretsch looks naked with a solid tailpiece. Is it possible to keep the Bigsby for looks, but lock it in place?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
i was thinking, if i put this roller bridge on my strat style trem, and just ran the strings from the bigsby B5 through the string mounting holes it would work. especially if i drilled them out, rounded them off and threw some graphite grease in there.
Can't tell from the pic but you might need to drill the rear of the bridge to get the right string angle.
fly: truth.

about "fixing" a bigsby, i guess you could seixe the bearing, or weld a rod in the spring so that it doesnt, um, spring anymore. but they're pretty stable anyway, so you wouldnt really have to.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
That does look like a nice bridge. If you get it make sure to let us know how it works.
Quote by brock.roberts
A TRICK FOR STRINGING THE BIGSBY! Bend the end of the string with they eyelet into a c shape so it hooks around the bar and over the peg. Then tune. MUCH easier.

thanks a bunch! I'll try that in another 6 months.
Bogner Überschall
Marshall 1960A
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12
Gibson SG Standard
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
6 months? yeah, a bic pen works wonders. i usually spiral it around twice, not too hard, so when i pull it off the pen it matches the shape of the bigsby bar perfectly. also, try using a capo to keep the strings in place while you wind them
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery