I have decide that from this day on I'm gonna dedicate 30min daily of practicing the Open your Eyes(Alter Bridge) solo until I nail it perfectly. I checked my limit with the Guitar Pro 5 Speed Trainer and my best without being sloppy was at 75% of the actual speed. Can anyone give me tips on how to reach 100% more efficiently and without wasting practice time? All kind of tips are accepted!!!
But after how much days do I raise the speed limit??? Should I start always at much slower speed, or should I start everyday where I left off? Also I AM only practicing small sections at a time.. right now I'm only practicing the alterante picking between strings number 2 and 3... I haven't touch the 10ths yet!!
Quote by Dream_Axe
But after how much days do I raise the speed limit??? Should I start always at much slower speed, or should I start everyday where I left off? Also I AM only practicing small sections at a time.. right now I'm only practicing the alterante picking between strings number 2 and 3... I haven't touch the 10ths yet!!

There's no set times here, it's all down to you. If you can play it flawlessly at 75% have a go at 78%, and again keep practicing until you can play it flawlessly. Just keep increasing by small increments.

Also am i right in thinking that you can't ACTUALLY play the whole solo at 75% speed, just bits of it? Just bear in mind that it's counter-productive to waste too much time on something that's too far ahead of your current ability level. I dunno how good you are, or what the solo's like, but if there's bits you haven't yet attempted that are significantly faster than the bits you're currently struggling on it might be a better idea to put it on the backburner for a while until yor overall technique improves a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 8, 2007,
make sure you are fretting and picking with eficiency and keep playing slow. gradually increase speed and make sure you are maintaining good form. you will get there.
Quote by steven seagull
There's no set times here, it's all down to you. If you can play it flawlessly at 75% have a go at 78%, and again keep practicing until you can play it flawlessly. Just keep increasing by small increments.

Also am i right in thinking that you can't ACTUALLY play the whole solo at 75% speed, just bits of it? Just bear in mind that it's counter-productive to waste too much time on something that's too far ahead of your current ability level. I dunno how good you are, or what the solo's like, but if there's bits you haven't yet attempted that are significantly faster than the bits you're currently struggling on it might be a better idea to put it on the backburner for a while until yor overall technique improves a bit.

+1.
I'd say if you're playing perfect on 75%, then play it perfect maybe 20 times in a row, without a mistake, then speed up to above said, 78%. Repeat the same thing, getting it right about 20 times in a row.

Or if all else fails, doodle around a bit. Work on some speed techniques, and then give it a go again. Anything is playable. Keep up the good work.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us."
Quote by steven seagull

Well yes I can actually play the WHOLE solo at 75% speed. The part I'm currently trying to perfect is like the hardest part of the solo, there is a part faster but it's in a single string so it's considerably easier!
Don't know how I can give you an example of my skill level. Um the hardest solos I can play flawlessly are the one in Blackened(Metallica), Master of Puppets(Metallica), and Like Light to Flies (Trivium), maybe that can give you an idea of my current level of skill.
Thank you everyone for your tips!!! and keep them coming