I'm doing a degree in university that's pretty much like an honours business degree (but different name/certain courses) and I want to get into the music industry. I have a passion for music and I understand some issues in the business, etc.

I'm wondering if you guys know: how exactly does one get their foot in the door? What kind of positions are out there? Where do I start if I want to eventually, in years ahead, be the guy who makes decisions such as which band to invest in and market? Any practical knowledge would help. Thanks!
Sadly, the music business is much more about who you know than what you know. Network as much as you can and if something comes up take it
Don't do it. The music industry sucks. Most of the big bands do too. You basically have to sell out to make it big these days.
Quote by hardrock1315
Don't do it. The music industry sucks. Most of the big bands do too. You basically have to sell out to make it big these days.

lolz dood liek wut abowt green day thay liek nevr sold out

During one of my 6 or 7 diahrrea escapades today I was thinking about how cool it would be to be a producer for an album. My inspiriation came from an article about Pink Floyd's first album and about their producer. But like someone said its about the people not the knowledge.
I love the music industry I'm not interested in making big money whatsoever, I just want to work with great music. Currently I'm working in the best recordstore in the Netherlands, and I started out working for the Beggars Group recordlabel, which was great aswel.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Quote by albino strat!
Sadly, the music business is much more about who you know than what you know. Network as much as you can and if something comes up take it

His right, I've heard this before.
Network, network, network..... Working in media it is really all about who you know and lucky breaks.

Having spent some time in studios as a tech I can tell you:

Production / studio jobs are 99% boredom / reptition / frustration and long, long hours.

Getting a music job where you work with artists / music you love is a but a pipe dream. The bread and butter of studios / producers etc is chart crap, boy bands, R&B etc as these pay the bills. The only exception would be "niche" labels / studios / producers (RoadRunner etc).

As long as your expectations are realistic, and you are open minded about the kind of music you work with, then get networking!!

Regards

SH
Thanks for the advice, guys, seems like a tough field to get into.
Quote by albino strat!

+23149723623912872
I hope you're good at giving head...
Terms and Conditions apply.