*If you are going to view the thread, please reply. I mean come on, 688 views, 25 replies?*

im in a band, but ive lost all confidence

we've asked opinions to our peers, and its all come back to... the singing.

people are like, "the music is fine" (i think drums are a little off) "but the singing makes the song terrible"

while we defend him "his mic was plugged into a guitar amp" (idk if that makes a difference) and "recording quality sucks"

i dont think anyone on UG would like it anyways, its a pretty emo song (no one planned for it to come out like that, but hey, its all our ideas together and its our first song, and doesnt take skills to play (power chords, bitch ass verse riff)

but what should we do? kick his ass out? make him get better? was it really the recording quality?

i say we quit, NOT cause people think we suck, but we barely ever practice cause of our lazy drummer and we're all good friends, it would suck to kick our singer out. (plus we dont have a replacement)

*song is on my profile*

if anyone has suggestions or comments, go for it.
Last edited by Mikeizzle at Oct 22, 2007,
Just have fun I suppose and don't worry about finding glory for your band.
Re-invent yourself as one of those bands that never practise and sound really bad, but have people like you because your bad. Than actually practise and become good
well make him get better

and try to practice at least once a week

consistently like same day and time
We kicked our drummer out because he was too lazy to practice, even tho hes our mate...

Do it for the band if you wanna roll with it...
Replace them (drummer and singer) once you find a replacement.
Quote by Alfi_d
Re-invent yourself as one of those bands that never practise and sound really bad, but have people like you because your bad. Than actually practise and become good

(Insert Sid Vicious Joke Here)
if its a difinitive "voice" people will warm up to it. as long as its not technically bad (pitch, timing) then people can warm up to the tonal aspect.
i have a 'white guitar'
What about his singing sucks? Is it diction? Support? Breath control? Pitch problems (which could be related to breath control)? Have him go over to the singing thread and post a clip. If we can hear him, we may be able to steer him in the right direction. Recording quality can be a factor, but again, without hearing it, there's no way for anyone to tell.
post the song, haha
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by queenofthenight
What about his singing sucks? Is it diction? Support? Breath control? Pitch problems (which could be related to breath control)? Have him go over to the singing thread and post a clip. If we can hear him, we may be able to steer him in the right direction. Recording quality can be a factor, but again, without hearing it, there's no way for anyone to tell.

Yes you are right again,
You sound like a good singer
Looking for a new sig!
Ok, but maybe ask in the singing thread for help, this isn't really the correct place.
Looking for a new sig!
I actually liked his voice on the chorus. It sounds like he is new to singing in which case he probably is going to be bad. Some people are just great singers. But most have to practice to get good just like any other instrument. Get him to practice more along with everyone else. Also if your band doesn't practice much of course you will suck, I don't know how long your band has been together but try to set a goal if there is a battle of the bands or an open mic night or something, gigs always tend to motivate. Just make sure there is plenty of time to get ready. If all else fails kick the drummer and have the vocalist play drums and find a new vocalist. Or maybe it's just destined to be one of those bands that just is meant to be a fun time to dink around.
I sucked pretty hard singing about 6 months ago; now by no means am I a singing god, but I can't even begin to tell you how much I've improved by just singing along to music whenever I can.

The vocals sound a little flat. I don't mean musically flat, I mean you need to sing like you're NOT really bored. That was a hurdle I had to jump over myself.

Also, can you plunk on the piano? I'd recommend finding the melody to this song, being able to play it in time to a metronome on the piano, and singing along as you play. That way, you should be in pitch when you're playing and singing. Commit the intervals and general sound of the melody to memory, and try playing it once, then singing it accapella, then playing it again. You'll really be surprised at how fast you get better; as a matter of fact you'll probably notice it almost instantly.

Also, next time you're recording, get your drummer a click track (metronome, computer metronome, anything). Because he's really off. And it's really noticeable. Even more so than the decent vocals.

I know what it's like to play with drummers that can't keep time. Saying its difficult would be an understatement.

Good luck!
He seems bored during the verse, but has more energy during the chorus. Get hi to sing with more energy and it will sound a lot better
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I don't know, he was kinda only talking during the first verse, which was lame. Basically practice.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Last edited by OThugSd at Oct 14, 2007,
just needs practice, all of u, u don't sound very cohesive

the singer needs to practice, thats all his voice will be fine after some practice
I have to say your singer seems to be in tune enough, although wavering slightly some times but still. As some have said, practice is all thats really needed. And, although I haven't taken singing lessons since like I was 11 or something (Even then it was like only one lesson), I'd recommend find some for him. I would think the theory would help loads if he can be bothered with it all.

Alternatively, sing along to favourite songs and try and match that other singers sound. Thats what I did.

While I think myself as only like backing singer material, I'm currently having to stand in as lead singer in my band. I'm terrified and probably sound rubbish but I'm giving it a go and just practicing the songs loads.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make lol, but yeah, while your singer sucks a tad in the enthusiastic tone department, he should be perfectly capable of improving loads if he puts his mind to it.

You're a new band, I'd say practice more and if it comes down to it get a new drummer.
Sorry it's been so long. I haven't been deliberately ignoring you- my mom was down for my daughter's birthday and my grandfather passed away. I'll get to the clip in a few days when I'm back in TX.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
Get the drummer to practice more, and play to a metronome. The singer voice is pretty bad, he basically can't sing at all. Just get him to practice more, his actual voice isn't that bad. Maybe get him to get lessons.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 23, 2007,
My Two Cents:

Melody wise, there isn't a lot of movement in the verses. . .it's not a very memorable line. The fact that he signs reallly flat doesn't really help either.

Basically, it just feels like it's lacking a bit of energy and excitement.

Does he enjoy singing for your band? Tell him to get into it a bit, and give it a bit of feeling.

And to focus on his pitch.

Good luck.
well, i listened to your mp3. the problem might be the recording quality, b/c the track overall was kinda muddy. i would suggest getting a cheap pa or something better than a guitar amp for him to sing through and also suggest that he maybe take some lessons to see if that would help. finally if you feel the band is going nowhere, leave it.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
You're right in saying it all comes down to the singing, you could have a great song but a ****y vocalist can ruin it all. People that don't play an instrument will usually only pick up on the vocals of a song compared to what all the instruments are doing unless its obvious they're doing something special (such as a solo). I'd say make him get lessons or kick him out
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
To throw in my two cents:

The flow of the song wasn't really there, and, in a way, it almost felt like it would speed up and slow down and speed up and slow down. Have you ever tried to sing along to a song doing that? You end up very unsure of yourself, double guessing your speed and trying to keep with everything. Imagine you were trying to play the solo to a cover song, over someone playing a rythem part that just wasn't quite right. It would feel disjointed. (Not saying that that the vocalist doesn't need improvement, or that a good vocalist couldn't make it work, but still, you have to admit it may not all be his fault.)

Anyway, I'd say your vocalist is about at the same level as the rest of the band. As far as quitting/kicking him out goes, if you don't want to be in a band, or you guys aren't enjoying it, and want to stay friends, I would break it up. Otherwise, keep him, but make sure he knows what you guys have been hearing. Nothing's worse then going along, thinking everything is fine, to find out people have been talking about you behind your back. That is how you will lose friends.
OK, now that I've listened to the clip, get the boy some voice lessons for Christmas. A sight singing text would be another lovely holiday present. In the meantime, tell him to check out the singing thread. Pronto. Support, dynamics and pitch seem to be the big issues.
-Dorothy Parker
Quote by queenofthenight
OK, now that I've listened to the clip, get the boy some voice lessons for Christmas. A sight singing text would be another lovely holiday present. In the meantime, tell him to check out the singing thread. Pronto. Support, dynamics and pitch seem to be the big issues.

WHERE IS THIS THREAD!?!?!??

(seriously, post the link)
Last edited by Mikeizzle at Oct 31, 2007,
LOL i thought you meant Sig as your profile. i was like "holy crap..."
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by Mikeizzle
WHERE IS THIS THREAD!?!?!??

(seriously, post the link)

It's one of the stickies in the Musician Talk forum.
-Dorothy Parker