yeah, so canada's dollar is now worth more than the US dollar. ouch.

thoughts?

reasons why, in your opinion? (lets not turn this into a flamefest)
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Quote by Colgate Total
It isn't devaluing, the Canadian dollar is just going up.

wrong
Quote by JC13
It's been like this for at least a few weeks, and there are a few threads on it. =\

It's pretty cool for me, I can buy stuff for dirt cheap now! Being 10 minutes away from the border FTW.

+1

though almost everything here is still like 20% more than the states because dealers are a little late in decreasing costs... how convenient ..
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
I love being Canadian. Our country's name starts with a C, the most scientifically perfect letter ever.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Quote by JC13
^Technically it's a little bit of both. Ours is getting a little better, and the american economy is sinking.

yes, the canadian dollar is actually getting quite a bit better, and the US dollar is sinking. I doubt prices will change, though, i mean corporations don't care about anything but making money, and will do anything to make money. sorry for personifying the corporation.
sup?
i think its cool...i was going to buy some **** off ebay the other day from america and i wwent to xe.com and realised the aus dollar had increased in value heaps, so it was good. yeah rurouni kenshin boxset.....
Quote by JC13
It's been like this for at least a few weeks, and there are a few threads on it. =\

It's pretty cool for me, I can buy stuff for dirt cheap now! Being 10 minutes away from the border FTW.

Damn, Im 20 minutes away from the border

any good guitar stores in bellingham?

Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by jack_the_ripper
I love being Canadian. Our country's name starts with a C, the most scientifically perfect letter ever.

how is it scientifically perfect?
peanuts and beers
Ding ding ding, you win the prize! Of course, you wouldn't really call it a prize, since the Federal Reserve is in essence making every single middle class or lower American Citizen poorer! Know how? It's easy! Just print lots more money each year and "invest it." Now, when I say "invest" I don't actually mean like a real person would invest it, no. By "invest" I mean "give it to corporate heads who no need for it in the first place!"

Yes, the federal reserve is purposefully devaluing US currency. No, there is nothing you can do about it other than rioting (or voting for Ron Paul, but that's an entirely different story). Yes, the government knows that the Fed is doing this, but since the majority of congressmen have had their pockets lined with freshly-printed bills, nothing will be done about it.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
This has been going on for decades. It's nothing new. Also, it's natural.
Does this mean that 50% of Canada jokes are now defunct?

Oh dear.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Depreciating*

;D
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.
I think they should bring back the gold standard, why would they get rid of it?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
cuz gold was too rare per capita, so people started using paper notes to denote the tender which they owed. Money is only a promisory note, but it is taken quite seriously pretty much everywhere you go.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
cuz gold was too rare per capita, so people started using paper notes to denote the tender which they owed. Money is only a promisory note, but it is taken quite seriously pretty much everywhere you go.

The gold standard was where the goverment had every US dollar backed up with gold. Now the US dollar relies on the American economy.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
The gold standard was where the goverment had every US dollar backed up with gold. Now the US dollar relies on the American economy.
So what happens when you run out of gold? Tell the several other million people that they'll just have to live in poverty?
Quote by yawn
So what happens when you run out of gold? Tell the several other million people that they'll just have to live in poverty?

You don't run out of Gold. The gold is held in a depository, at one time it was Fort Knox. They had all the gold stored in there, then they printed out paper notes to represent the gold. It is impossible to run out.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

if you have a set amount of gold, and every bit of money is backed by that gold. you couldnt ever print more money than there currently was. which is a necessity to do, therefor the dollar would depreciate invariably until it would be worth nothing. Hence why we basically back our money with our "economy."
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by CORT noob

You don't run out of Gold. The gold is held in a depository, at one time it was Fort Knox. They had all the gold stored in there, then they printed out paper notes to represent the gold. It is impossible to run out.

I mean run out of gold to back up more money. AKA, you couldn't print enough money if it all had to be backed up by gold.
Quote by yawn

I mean run out of gold to back up more money. AKA, you couldn't print enough money if it all had to be backed up by gold.

printing more money without having the gold to back it up is what's causing the inflation in the first place. Increase in paper money + stagnant amount of gold = less valuable paper money.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
inflation is natural, but the rate of inflation is something which we should be wary of.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by yawn

What do you mean you couldn't print enough money? All it means is that the more money you print the less amount of gold the dollar represents, and the more gold you acquire, the more the dollar is worth.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by misfitsdisciple
inflation is natural, but the rate of inflation is something which we should be wary of.

With the gold standard, it is easier to reverse inflation.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by misfitsdisciple

Inflation is normal, yes. But overinflation (what's currently going on) is the direct result of the people up top participating in large amounts of douchebaggery.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave
printing more money without having the gold to back it up is what's causing the inflation in the first place. Increase in paper money + stagnant amount of gold = less valuable paper money.
Just because inflation is increasing at too rapid of a rate doesn't mean to go back to the gold standard. ><

The key word in most solutions is moderation.

In this case, a slight recession would be decent (despite its flaws).
Quote by CORT noob
What do you mean you couldn't print enough money? All it means is that the more money you print the less amount of gold the dollar represents

That would be frightening. Put $1000 in the bank account, and find out several months later that your account is only with $880?
Quote by yawn

That would be frightening. Put $1000 in the bank account, and find out several months later that your account is only with $880?

That's why the government isn't supposed to print more money, unless bills are lost.

And, on our current system the same thing happens all the time.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at Oct 8, 2007,