Can someone teach me how to sweep and other important techniques for soloing? I know its in the wrong area but no one responds in musician talk
Look on youtube for video lessons on sweep arpeggios. I was first introduced to sweeping when I saw the JerryC rendition of Canon in D, then discovered the wonderfully diverse world of Neoclassical rock. Check out Paul Gilbert's stuff, Yngwie Malmsteem, Buckethead; basically any of the great shredders. It is a difficult technique and take A LOT of work, after about a year I have finally become good at it, but it can vary.
I learned how to sweep by watching Steve Vai videos on YouTube and crying myself to sleep while knowing that I couldn't pwn nearly as hard as him.

Start with simple chords and just train your right hand to follow your left hand. Start sweeping with the bottom three strings until you get expert at it and then move up to four strings and then up to five and so on.

It took me over a full year to get to be able to sweep correctly and it's still difficult for me but just keep trying.
Sweeping is essentially a type of economy picking. It's like raking strings, so you just move your pick in one direction across several strings. You use it to play arpeggios usually. Check out videos of people playing Serrana (Jason Becker tune) on youtube to see it in action. for exercises, just play the repeating parts of Serrana really slow. Another fun one is the solo from Dethklok's Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle. Pretty basic patterns, but still very difficult. Practice slow as hell. Even Herman Li says to slow down almost beyond reason, and he's in goddamn Dragonforce... ****ing 200 bpm tempos.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by SnapCrackleBOOM
Does it even make a difference in sound? It seems to me like its just up/down alternate picking

It's still picking a note, but trust me, you'll understand when you try it. Play Tumeni Notes (Steve Morse) which is alt picking and then try the end of Mea Culpa (Human Abstract) and you'll realize the difference that sweeping makes.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by SnapCrackleBOOM
Haha kk ill try it out..so why is it the hardest technique if ur just picking up then down?

It isn't the hardest technique and I don't think you really understand how to do it. Watch a video of somebody playing Serrana and you see them making wide, sweeping motions with their picking hand. The pick travels one direction (lets say up) across several strings in a row, then turns around and covers several strings in a row in the opposite direction (down, I guess).
Quote by nightwind
Yeah I should do that..cuz I don't get it.. Lol..its just a way of pickign up and down right? So let ssay I wanna play welcome home by coheed and cmabria..the intro is sweep ..so what do I do
Yeah I should do that..cuz I don't get it.. Lol..its just a way of pickign up and down right? So let ssay I wanna play welcome home by coheed and cmabria..the intro is sweep ..so what do I do
If you don't "get" what sweep picking is, then watch the videos on youtube and google video. You'll never figure out how to do it if you don't really understand the end goal.
Well the Coheed intro I wouldn't really call sweeping, is more of a triplet rake. Not much skill needed in sweeping to accomplish it, just listen to the song a lot and I am sure it will come to you. I learned that song WAY before I started sweep picking.