I'm probably going to buy a Peavey Deuce pretty soon but I just wanted to know something. Apparently it's "tube-powered" as in it has 4 tubes but it has a Solid-state preamp. First of What's a preamp and is it good that it's solid-state and what do they mean when they say it's tube-powered? What is being powered by these tubes?
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
It sounds like a hybrid amp. Marketing Scheme. it'll probably sound like a loud solid state. The preamp is the part that takes your signal and shapes it (volume, gain, eq, effects etc.) and it is the main part of an amp. If that's solid state....the speakers are the only thing thats gonna be tube.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
If that's solid state....the speakers are the only thing thats gonna be tube.

0.o

Speakers are speakers, silly

An all valve power amp and a solid state preamp? I can't remember seeing that done before. It might be quite nice, though. A lot of people use multi-effect processors through valve power amps to get a nice tone, so it's worth trying it out, at least.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
It sounds like a hybrid amp. Marketing Scheme. it'll probably sound like a loud solid state. The preamp is the part that takes your signal and shapes it (volume, gain, eq, effects etc.) and it is the main part of an amp. If that's solid state....the speakers are the only thing thats gonna be tube powered.

Fixed
how the hell can speakers be valve powered?? 0.o
T.S- what genres do you play and how much money do you have- you may be able to get a better amp than a hybrid.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
lol speakers cant be tube powered
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Just wondering, won't solid-preamp and tube-poweramp sound pretty awesome? Because you still get tube overdrive but you get good solid state distortion as well?
Ummm...I believe I already posted a response tot his same question in another forum section, check that thread..

This is NOT a hybrid amp, the term hybrid usually refers to the new amps made with one preamp tube, which is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. One 12AX7 won't make much difference, the power amp section is where tubes actually make more difference.

I have two Peaveys like this, solid state preamp into tube power amp, I use the MX onstage with my Fender Super Reverb in a dual amp setup with an A/B switch. It's not quite the same as an all tube amp, but very close, and sounds very good.

Check your other thread and in the future please post questions only in one forum section to avoid confusion.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...