I was thinking about posting a topic on what rock n roll needs to survive , but I realized a lot of people think rock is doing great ( thanks to underground bands etc ) and I thought ok well regardless if it's alive or dead. What does a "good" band mean to you? Where is it that you say , Damn now that was something?
originality with a shred of the familiar. keeping me interested for a long period of time.
Dark, trivial, intellegently writin lyrics and well composed music to go along with it. Prefferably guitar.
Originality, passion, and melodic sensibility. Genre is irrelevant.
Originality, something new, but still with a few influences from past great bands. They also need to have meaning whether it be them emotional music or the fun riffs any all quality songs with no fillers.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
A distinctive characteristic in the song which sets it apart from other songs by that band...

Also little build up's to a climax of the song is always cool.
To me, a good band is anything that i find interesting. To be "Good" they dont even necessarily be the best at what they do, or the most awesome thing ever. If they are listenable, to me, that makes them a good band.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
a good balance between originality and technical/compositional skill usually makes for a killer band.
Remember when you were young
You shone like the sun...
I like almost anything as long as it has good vocals. If you have an extremely powerful voice - James Labrie, Tom Englund, Rob Thomas, James Hetfield, Robb Flynn - then you should use it to the fullest.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
intelligent lyrics
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
a good band to me is one that writes songs that i like. simple as that.

i cant say one thing that makes a good band, ie i really like guitar solos, but there are heaps of songs i like that dont have guitar solos or whatever, you get the idea
I was just thinking about this the other night and I came up with something that I really think describes music.

Good band = A band with the ability the write pretty catchy songs, somewhat intelligent lyrics and that work well together "sonically" as it were. (yeah sonically is probably not a word)

Great band = When you listen to their songs, every single one makes you go "F.UCK! why didn't I think of that first?"
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
Quote by 2lazy2getbetter
I was just thinking about this the other night and I came up with something that I really think describes music.

Good band = A band with the ability the write pretty catchy songs, somewhat intelligent lyrics and that work well together "sonically" as it were. (yeah sonically is probably not a word)

Great band = When you listen to their songs, every single one makes you go "F.UCK! why didn't I think of that first?"

Yea I agree with you on that , man they're are A LOT of great rock bands know that I think about it. ...
Sincerity.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
It has to be something new and interesting, or they have to do something familiar really well. I'm also a sucker for downtuned guitars/7-strings...if I hear that in a song, unless it's a really bad song, I'm gonna like it. Good lyrics are a plus, too...if I can relate to a song, I'm gonna like it.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
Something that isnt generic. Thats why pop, rap, etc is ****, its so easy to make. I find that "good bands" can be found in rock, alternative and my favourite, metal. However i hate generic thrash which consists of power chords with a solo over them or generic hardcore. But if a band can play those genres and still play something new, i appreciate them
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Its all about the vocals for me. Great vocal range, the higher the notes the more into it I am. Skid Row FTW
Well, first it shouldn't contain any combination of the following three words
Fall
Out
Boy

Second of all, the band shouldn't suck

Third of all, the band members shouldn't be complete homos, trying to be cool and edgy.

fourth of all, wait.. what was the question again?
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
honesty, emotion, good songwriting and something that listeners can connect to. skill and originality comes second. I'd rather buy a cd from a slightly mediocre, mainstream-sounding band but can write great meaningful tunes than one from a highly skilled band who sings about partying.
This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAutUObokCM

Blindfolds aside - Protest the Hero

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1vHa00NDlY

Aesthetics of Hate - Machine Head

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAmq-y3sgBM

A Night Away - Pat Metheny/Brad Mehldau

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-T_CduZSLw

Accidents - Alexisonfire

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy1Jki4TT9c

Oops i did it again - Children of Bodom cover

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9cBhrhPDNw

Good Die Young - D12 (yes really)

Basically to me a great band can be from any genre, write in any style just aslong as they can either have fun (the bodom clip) or have a sence of meaning to their music.

My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Gotta hit heavy sa hell.
Guitar solo's are a plus.
Getting chills on the back of my neck whilst listening makes them perfect.
A band that can entertain me or hold my interest for longer then two minutes.
If I can feel there sound and soul through my body. Great melodic lines and chords progressions. Rhythm has to be abit loose and free but not loose cuz then its sound sloppy and ****. Music today is too tight and sounds robotic.
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Last edited by Whats the story at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by uhh_me?
originality with a shred of the familiar. keeping me interested for a long period of time.

Yeah!
Sent from my iPad.