thought that title would get your attention. (yes this is relavent)

I am not referring to keeping time as in keeping IN time, I am rather referring to being able to count while playing.

For example when I play a major scale I can count the 1 2 3 4 all the way up, but once I hit the top string and start coming down I lose count. (lemme know if this confuses you and I'll clear it up). I am keeping in time, but should I be able to KEEP time? Know what I mean?

pepsi
It doesn't matter if you count, as long as you know when the notes should be played relative to the other notes. In other words, stay on beat, and play the proper duration for each note, and it doesn't matter if you're counting "a-one-and-a-two-and-a" or anything of the sort.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
As long as you have the rythym in your head down, then it doesn't matter.

EDIT: Pepsi =
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Oct 8, 2007,
being able to count to the quarter note isnt essential but certainly helps you to place the notes more precisely where they need to be.
you should be able to count but i found that taping your foot is a lot easier
I almost exploded when I read the thread title XD

Counting is important to help you build up a good ablility to be in time, and eventually you will be able to keep time without counting because you will get good at feeling the beat in your head rather than in your mouth or on the bottom of your foot.
You don't need to count, just as long as you play with a consistent beat.