My friend owns a 1974 Twin Reverb 100 watts with the push pull master volume and i own a Vox AD50VT which is 50watts hybrid tube (tube in power amp) why is my 50watt hybrid louder then his 100watt tuber???
It's God?
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
Your either

a) one-third BS
b) Partially deaf, and cannot tell differences between volumes
c) Your friend's twin has something wrong with it, probably tubes, maybe a speak though(although I doubt this as you didnt say anything wrong about the actual sound)

Are you sure he had his Twin turned all the way up?
Yeah something's borked there, Twins are pretty much the loudest amp Fender makes.

EDIT: Holy crap! Another Sydney dude! I want your strat man, that sounds like a sweet guitar.

EDIT THE SECOND: Hang on, you said it had a master volume? Was that engaged? Cause obviously that would make it quieter.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Last edited by Tom S. at Oct 8, 2007,
Well as you said the tubes are old. And old tubes= A LOT LESS volume.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
It might need some serious maintenance. The components in it could theoretically age so that the amp loses nearly all its power.
it might needs caps, resistors and tubes replaced. And even if you're vox is "louder" right now, once the amp is serviced it will look terrible in comparison (sound wise)
Quote by stratocaster54
The tubes are old on his but still, when cranked to about 8 it is about as loud as mine on half.

The fact that he can even turn it up to 8 and not be dead means it needs some maintenance. A properly working twin should be roughly as loud as a 747 taking off.
Quit thinking about the tubes. Your testing error is likely in the volume pots. You can't really compare max volume unless you have both amps cranked up to the max.

Different volume pots have different curves. Old Fender Amps use volume pots with a smoother audio curve, which gives a user greater control over the total volume range. A lot of newer amps use pots with a steeper curve, which at first seems like more volume. If you set both the Fender and the Vox on 4, the Vox would likely seem louder, because it accomplishes most of its gain in the early stage of the pot. There probably isn't too much change in volume on the Vox between 6 and 10. My guess is that once you turn the Fender up all the way, it will be louder.

Of course there is always the chance that the Fender is broken, but there would be other symptoms if that were the case. Either way, the Fender, if in good condition, would cream the AD Vox.
Something is most likely wrong with it. (The Twin.)
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Wasted Resource
Quit thinking about the tubes. Your testing error is likely in the volume pots. You can't really compare max volume unless you have both amps cranked up to the max.

Different volume pots have different curves. Old Fender Amps use volume pots with a smoother audio curve, which gives a user greater control over the total volume range. A lot of newer amps use pots with a steeper curve, which at first seems like more volume. If you set both the Fender and the Vox on 4, the Vox would likely seem louder, because it accomplishes most of its gain in the early stage of the pot. There probably isn't too much change in volume on the Vox between 6 and 10. My guess is that once you turn the Fender up all the way, it will be louder.

Of course there is always the chance that the Fender is broken, but there would be other symptoms if that were the case. Either way, the Fender, if in good condition, would cream the AD Vox.

the tubes are more likely than pots. next is capacitors, then probably the pots. 8-10 wont have that big an increase in volume on old fenders, nor new ones. Get new tubes, and then get a tech to check out caps and maybe resistors.
Well i don't have the balls to take my amp past half its wayy too loud. I wanna take it to a farm oneday and just crank the **** out of it.