Hey everyone. I'm moving from Alaska this summer to find a band down in the lower 48 states and strive to make my dreams come true. Can some of you people fill me in on the best states and cities and what their music scenes are like? What genres are most popular there?
I don't know much about U.S. states, but L.A. produced some very good bands, although i think hip hop and all that is the main genre around there. Nashville is pretty famous for music, but I think thats just country.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
arizona. specifically phoenix or tucson. it amazes me every day how many god damn bands from here just come out of obscurity and make it big. lots of great venues to play at, for big bands AND small bands. tons of younger people going out to support local bands all the time. even for tiny garage/myspace bands it seems like no matter what small place they play at it's packed full. it's just awesome. as far as genres go you can find almost everything here but the most popular would be say metal/hardcore/alternative/post hardcore...etc. but there is plenty of everything else.
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
Long Island hardcore/pop-punk scene is the best fucking scene ever. What's the best scene for you depends on what kind of music you play.
The best music scene cities in the US, in my experience:

New York, NY
Nashville, TN
Seattle, WA
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Austin, TX
Death to Ovation haters!
How has noone mentioned Chicago? In the last five years Chicago has put out more popular bands than most of the other U.S. other scenes put together!
We have a really good scene here in southern Louisiana. New Orleans has a really good one of course. The Lafayette area has a pretty good scene too. Down here it's mostly metalcore/hardcore/alternative and stuff like Acid Bath and Soilent Green.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
NEVER use the pit as a source of help for life decisions...

Explore your options very carefully, don't go totally on what the pit say...
Nyc

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
+1 to Nashville, lots of diverse music and tons of venues.

Whatever you do, DON'T come to Columbus, OH. The music scene here is about as dead as the jerry curl. Sure, you see one every so often, but it doesn't look right and you usually just end up laughing about it
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Austin has really got some of everything.

5-10 BIG bands out of there in the past few years, or within a days drive.

What sort of music are you looking for?

Dallas doesnt have much of a big hardcore scene or anything.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
ATL has a good break-beat/hip hop scene, and a HUGE metalcore and "pop punk" scence.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by I-Watch-Anime
+1 to louisiana. we rock.

It sucks here in Baton Rouge.
"Grindcore."

Ew.
Quote by ArchisT
Omaha, NE
no seriously

the only musician i know out of nebraska is conor oberst
Quote by Pisforprenup
the only musician i know out of nebraska is conor oberst

311?!??! haha no but really Omaha has a good scene imo
chicago has a good music scene for metal/ hardcore. i'm from the south suburbs of chicago, and one of my ex-bands is out opening for Chevelle. the downtown scene is probably better for a wider variety of music though. the south suburbs have an awesome scene for metal/hardcore/pop-punk/ and rock bands.
Quote by slash16x
chicago has a good music scene for metal/ hardcore. i'm from the south suburbs of chicago, and one of my ex-bands is out opening for Chevelle. the downtown scene is probably better for a wider variety of music though. the south suburbs have an awesome scene for metal/hardcore/pop-punk/ and rock bands.

What band?

I probably know you guys, with how gossipy the Chicago scene is.
I live in seattle, wa. good music scene, but the great years of grunge are over. Now I'm seeing a lot more hardcore. I'm going to ignite the blues/classic rock fire though... just need a motivated band and a good place for blues where they'll let 16/17/18 year olds plug in and play. if I can't find any, then it's the streets for us!