Okay, my computer just restarted for no reason, and now all the icons on my desktop are missing, as is the start menu. So my question to you all is what the hell happened, and how do I fix this!?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
then how are you on u.g
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
I pushed Control+alt+delete to open windows task manager, and started my firefox as a new task to post this. No, I didn't close anything, I was just on ug looking around, and then bam it restarted.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Maybe explorer has crashed and is not running. Try pressing ctrl+alt+del and start explorer.exe in the windows folder.
Quote by p o e
lmfao man thats so sick and depraved and yet funny all at once

my hats off to you IbanezSA160, you have embodied the Pit into one little poem
well check your processes to see if explorer.exe is there, if its not, start her up
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Okay IEXPLORE.EXE is there, and I restarted my computer again from windows task manager before I posted this, and no dice.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Okay no, explorer.exe is not there, but firefox.exe is. I r confused.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Yes I restarted it before posting this, and nothing changed.
I ran one earlier today, but the computer was working fine a couple of minutes ago. Although I have seen a recent rise in the number of pop-ups I've been getting, I get like three every few minutes.
Quote by Senor Kristian
^My bad, I'm not very computer savvy. Anyways how do I start the windows explorer again then?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
^My bad, I'm not very computer savvy. Anyways how do I start the windows explorer again then?

press ctrl+alt+del to open taskmanager, go to file > new task (run..) and just put 'explorer.exe' there without the quotations marks.
Just type 'explorer.exe' in the 'New Task' window.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Alright guys I typed in explorer.exe in the new task bar thingy, and nothing happened. What the hell is going on?!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Bump Guys, come on this is serious business! Please help me!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Sorry for the triple post but I've been trying to fix this by trying to rerun explorer.exe, running ad-aware, and now defragmenting my computer, and nothing seems to be working. Do you know of anything else that could help?

Also, if you guys know of any pop-up blockers that would be helpful; we have been getting a ****load of IE ads from nowhere and I don't know how to stop them... help preez.
Quote by Senor Kristian
use firefox and set it to your default browser so the ads don't just open in IE.

I wonder if you could try a system restore bu I don't know how to get to that w/o the start menu....

last resort, reformat...or call geek squad...
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 8, 2007,
go to start new task
go to C:\Windows\System32\explorer.exe
something around that, look for explorer in the system32 folder.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by The Virtuoso
Bump Guys, come on this is serious business! Please help me!

I know something else that is serious business..

that's right

Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Quote by LadyHellraiser
You didnt happen to close anything in task manager processes?

What happened is explorer.exe probably closed. Thats what happens whenever that process is terminated.

Explorer.exe being closed will not cause his whole computer to restart though.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

completely shut down your pc(power off all the way). wait a few mins. In the meantime, shut down your modem if it's an external broadband type and unplug the power cord from it as well. This is called power cycling the modem, and will reset it. To start up, plug in the modem and turn it on, wait for it to cycle thru everything, then turn on your pc. let it boot up to the login window, log in and go to town. you might also want to check that windows update isn't running automatically. XP pc's will auto-restart if they've received an update that requires a restart if that option is turned on.