I was planning on buying an Ibanez Xiphos soon, but there has been one thing on my mind. The Edge III bridge.

Now, I need to know if it is worth buying this guitar (because I really love it's shape, finish, everything about it, neck through, etc) and then as soon as possible, swapping the Edge III for an OFR?

Also, is this possible? I have heard people say it is, and that it isn't.

How much would that cost to do? (Australian dollars)

Or, is there another guitar similar that has a better trem, and will be better to buy, but still at a decent price?

Keep in mind, I'd like it to be neck-through, and not need any modifications (eg. pickups).

Also, is the Edge III as bad as people say it is?
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
check out the jackson warrior. ibanez pretty much took the shape from it except its not neck through, not sure if u can get e neck through, check it out. i hav a warrior and love it plays so well. cant go wrong.
Last edited by frett_ledgend at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by frett_ledgend
check out the jackson warrior. ibanez pretty much took the shape from it. i hav a warrior and love it plays so well. cant go wrong

Checked out some of them. Only things.. bolt-on and that it's a licensed floyd, which I have also heard aren't great? But I may be wrong...
so howcome the edge III isnt so great? ive had ppl say that aswell but ive never actually heard y
Quote by frett_ledgend
so howcome the edge III isnt so great? ive had ppl say that aswell but ive never actually heard y

Some people say it's bad quality, can't stay in tune, etc.. but many people who actually have it say otherwise.. so I need some opinions from people who actually have them.
I've tried Edge III trems, and there's nothing wrong with the way they work when they're new. The problem with them, as with most cheap OFRs is that they're built poorly, and will wear out much quicker. Once it starts wearing out, the guitar will detune everytime you use the whammy bar, and you will curse a lot.
yeh but everyone says that floyds never stay in tune but they are always inexperienced with them and/or hasnt stretched the strings enough or at all wen they restring em etc.

but yeh wateva u want
My edge III is fine.

Mitch, I can even show ya :P
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by kyrreca
I've tried Edge III trems, and there's nothing wrong with the way they work when they're new. The problem with them, as with most cheap OFRs is that they're built poorly, and will wear out much quicker. Once it starts wearing out, the guitar will detune everytime you use the whammy bar, and you will curse a lot.

So, how long was it until it started to become a piece of crap?
Yeah, theyre supposed to be made from ****e metals and stuff and they basically wear down quicker. Ive got one on my Ibanez and its fine, but then again Ive only had my Ibanez for about a year and I dont really use the trem too much. If your going to get a guitar with a floyd, get a good one. It'll save you alot of hassle in the long run.
Quote by SMterminator
My edge III is fine.

Mitch, I can even show ya :P

lol im not saying that they are bad or wateva
Quote by frett_ledgend
yeh but everyone says that floyds never stay in tune but they are always inexperienced with them and/or hasnt stretched the strings enough or at all wen they restring em etc.

but yeh wateva u want

That's an unrelated issue, regarding people who don't know how to set up a locking trem system. This is about the actual quality of different OFRs.

Once the knife-edge on an OFR or FR is worn out, not even the most skilled guitar tech in the world can keep it from going out of tune. This is more likely to happen on a cheap OFR, because it's built from poor quality materials.

Quote by BLOODLETTING
So, how long was it until it started to become a piece of crap?

I've never owned a guitar with an Edge III, so I wouldn't know. Depends on how often and brutal you use the whammy bar, I guess.
Problem with the Edge II is that they can wear down the knife edge pivot that all locking trems (except the Ibanez ZR) use to move. I don't know why they have such a tendency to do this though. As for switching, with the exception of the original Edge trem which was basically a high quality copy of the OFR, the rest of Ibanez's trems have slightly different routing that OFRs which might make it not possible to replace. The Jackson with the LFR however would be easy to swap out for an OFR for any half decent luthier.
My ibanez trem has chipped where it rest on the two screws coming out of the body, not nice at all
If you can grab an Edge Pro or whatever I think it's a direct swap, after that it should probably be smooth sailing.
couldn't he just swap it out for one of ibanez's better quality trems onc eit begins to wear out?

i think the ZR is supposed to be good (correct me if i'm wrong)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
ZR is not a direct swap , a OFR should be tho
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Thanks man. Perfect.

Thanks for the responses all. I'll probably be getting a Xiphos soon, and if the trem starts to become a problem, I'll just block it until I can get it swapped. If not, i'll use it until it falls apart, then swap.