I've been playin for a few years now and i still have no idea, wot on earth is the difference between major and minor pentatonics. PRACTICALLY! please don't give me a bunch of answers about intervals and such, i understand that stuff, but its easier for me to think of it in terms of functionality. so please, help a brotha out.
The only difference is intervals. If you want a practical answer, than the Major pentatonic can be used over major chords, and the Minor pent over minor chords, though both will have a bland bluesy feel. Both sound great over Dominant chords.
Hey dispreffered,
I don't know what Brokeback mountain was trying to tell you with her post, but remind your self to check all resources.

I too am a noob got a nice strat year and love it.

I have been messing with it for a year and slowly learning portions of songs..

Brokeback was right in that you should learn theory while you learn because it'will help it al come together and it will allow you to play a variety of tunes easier with more understanding. All music is interrelated.

The video lessons and written lesson on this site offer great pentatonic info. I came hear 2 days ago and I have learned so much from the contributors.

I had to take the penta lessons I got here and cross reference them to the Alfred rock and blues books I have as well as the Hal Leonard music theory book. Which those books alone were confusing to me until I used all the sources.

I have a friend who is an accomplished guitarist and he advised me to learn those scales first and foremost.

I hope that helps. And although Broke back was right, his I had too many ...;.edit...
Last edited by HAMMERJ at Oct 8, 2007,
Play A chord and play this scale
e|-5------8--------------|
B|-5------8--------------|
G|-5----5----------------|
D|-5----5----------------|
A|-5----5----------------|
E|-5------8--------------|

That's Minor pentatonic

Then play A chord and play this
e|-2------5--------------|
B|-2------5--------------|
G|-2----4----------------|
D|-2----4----------------|
A|-2----4----------------|
E|-2------5--------------|

^Major pentatonic

hear the difference?
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Last edited by browar at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by browar
Play A chord and play this scale
e|-5------8--------------|
B|-5------8--------------|
G|-5----5----------------|
D|-5----5----------------|
A|-5----5----------------|
E|-5------8--------------|

That's Minor pentatonic

Then play A chord and play this
e|-2------5--------------|
B|-2------5--------------|
G|-2----4----------------|
D|-2----4----------------|
A|-2----4----------------|
E|-2------5--------------|

^Major pentatonic

hear the difference?

Hey Browar, could you explain that in a little more detail? I'm a little confused now because the first scale you posted looks like A Minor Pentatonic, and the second scale you posted looks like F# Minor Pentatonic. Are F# Minor Pentatonic and A Major Pentatonic the same scale...? Thanks.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Ok let me rephrase. Lets say im in the key of G major, the root note of my minor pentatonic will be my open low E string. where is the root of the major pentatonic?
Quote by FourSticks17
Hey Browar, could you explain that in a little more detail? I'm a little confused now because the first scale you posted looks like A Minor Pentatonic, and the second scale you posted looks like F# Minor Pentatonic. Are F# Minor Pentatonic and A Major Pentatonic the same scale...? Thanks.

yes, basically.

I dont know much about theory but I do know some about Relative Major/Minor
Using that example F# Majors Relative Minor is A. And vise versa. Another example, Eminors relative Major would be? Gmajor. notice something? G is 3 degrees from E.

So F# Major Pentatonic and A minor Pentatonic have the notes but just start and end on a different note.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
Quote by dispreferred
Ok let me rephrase. Lets say im in the key of G major, the root note of my minor pentatonic will be my open low E string. where is the root of the major pentatonic?

Well if your in Gmajor, your root note would be G. If your in E minor your root would be E, see?
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
i must be completely missing something. Gmajor and Eminor are the same key, wots the difference?
Quote by dispreferred
i must be completely missing something. Gmajor and Eminor are the same key, wots the difference?

No, they are not the same key. They use the same notes but START and END on different notes. So let me explain

Gmajor: G A B C D E F# G starts and ends on G

Eminor: E F# G A B C D E starts and ends on E

so you see, Gmajor and Eminor have the same notes but are just starting at different places
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
ok, so lets say i have a song with the chord progression Am, G, Bm, C. wot key am i in?
actually that was stupid, new chord progression, Am, G, F#m, C. Wot key am i in and how do the pentatonics apply to it?
^^Am, G, Bm, C would be in G major.

Am, G, F#m, C doesnt fit into any one key. G major would be the closest except it would be an F#dim rather than an F#m.
As far as application of the pentatonics to the above scenario, you could get away with playing the G pentatonic major over the Am, G and C and then scale hop to the F# pentatonic minor over the F#m chord. For best results though, scale hop from A pentaonic minor to G pentatonic major to F# pentatonic minor to C pentatonic major.
Last edited by tom183 at Oct 9, 2007,
ok, more questions, pentatonics have five positions and that covers the whole fretboard, where does that fit into it all?
^I would actualyl like to know that myself. Im pretty sure you can. I know alot of solos change scales according to the chord progression but if you listen to like pantera, ol' dime plays in eminor through the whole thing, so i dunno, i guess you can!
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero