I'm in the market for an Gibson SG faded right now. I know they're not the best but it's a good price for a USA made Gibson.

My question is, should I? Or is there something better for that price?

Also, I'm gonna be playing it through a TonePort into the Gearbox/Guitar Rig 2 software.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
my personal opinion. Keep saving, worst case get another USA made gibson or even go for the standard if ur not in need for one soon then why not keep going and instead of settling go for the best u can
I agree with how you think on this. But I don't think I'll NEED a better one. I mean, in the future I can change the pups and I'll have a killer guitar.

Anything I need to know about the Faded SG before I get it?

Also, I'm getting it because it's on sale with 20 percent off.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
I agree with how you think on this. But I don't think I'll NEED a better one. I mean, in the future I can change the pups and I'll have a killer guitar.

Anything I need to know about the Faded SG before I get it?

Also, I'm getting it because it's on sale with 20 percent off.

Gibson quality control is quite bad, especially on the cheaper models, so inspect it very carefully. Pay extra attention to the fret job.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Aren't some of those SG Faded Bodies made out of like 7 pieces of wood? New pickups aren't going to help that out .

There are a lot of better guitars for the money.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
If you can find a nice one, id say go for it. But like someone said gibson has had some quality controls. I love my faded sg, but at the same time ive played some really horrible ones.

but its all preference, if you have t[he option of saving, then a standard would be a more awesome choice
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I was considering this guitar, but after all the horror stories about headstocks snapping off I settled for a beautiful LTD Viper 400.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Faded Specials are great, just make sure to look it over wuite thoroughly. i Wouldnt recomend anything for that price over a good Faded special, especially with a Pup change.
+1 but def make sure you play one..it took me 3 to find the one i have now they all feel diffrent and some are crap
Is a Korean PRS SE for the same price better than the USA made SG Faded?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
^Personally, I think some of them are, but others are pretty "meh" like the Gibson's faded series. The Customs and Singlecuts are awesome...
prs se is definitely a better choice than the faded. I read somewhere faded gibsons are guitars which couldnt pass QC as standards so the paint was scuffed up and sold as a faded. i.e it's gibsons rejects
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^That wouldn't surprise me at all. And knowing how spotty Gibson QC is I really wouldn't to take a chance with a reject...
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Gibson quality control is quite bad, especially on the cheaper models, so inspect it very carefully. Pay extra attention to the fret job.

+1

also, are you willing to import something? I'd consider an edwards long before i'd consider a faded gibbo. heck, i'd take my edwards over plenty of gibbo standards.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

also, are you willing to import something? I'd consider an edwards long before i'd consider a faded gibbo. heck, i'd take my edwards over plenty of gibbo standards.

Heck, even I'd take your Edwards over plenty of gibbo standards
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Nah. The customs and tax over here would mean I'd have to play a lotta money to import that.

So it comes down to this, PRS SE or a Faded SG? They guy at the store where the SG is laughed when I said I was considering a PRS SE over the faded because the PRS is korean and the SG is made in the US.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
So it comes down to this, PRS SE or a Faded SG? They guy at the store where the SG is laughed when I said I was considering a PRS SE over the faded because the PRS is korean and the SG is made in the US.

Well that guy is stupid.

The Gibson faded series is a really poor excuse for an American made guitar. Gibson knew people would buy a crappy guitar just because of what they say on the headstock. Yes there are some nice Faded series guitars, but I way more trustworthy of PRS' SE line.
as said countless times the lower end gibson have bad QC... that said, I didnt like the finish of the Faded Series, I just didnt like the feel... some do and some dont.

IT sounded o.k., but I was actually impressed more by some of the epiphone sgs and LPs in that price range.

I would go for the PRS SE, PRS is a good company and even their cheap stuff sounds great... just because the guitar is made in the U.S. doesnt always mean it is better.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Heck, even I'd take your Edwards over plenty of gibbo standards

Quote by m3k
Nah. The customs and tax over here would mean I'd have to play a lotta money to import that.

oh ok, sorry to get your hopes up.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
PRS it is! Thanks guys.

Any other suggestions for that price range? Something with a string thru/tune-o-matic/fixed bridge and is versatile. How's the Ibanez SZ series? I remember playing a SZ320 and liking it.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
PRS it is! Thanks guys.

Any other suggestions for that price range? Something with a string thru/tune-o-matic/fixed bridge and is versatile. How's the Ibanez SZ series? I remember playing a SZ320 and liking it.

I've been generally very disappointed in basically all of the PRS SEs that I've played. They've all been pretty dead resonance-wise and kind of feel like toys.

*shrug*

Michael Kelly guitars kick the crap out of them (if they have those in your country).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 8, 2007,