I've but a quick question. One of my basses is a P-bass knock-off. It sounds good, but the pickups are noisy when I turn up the treble. If I replaced them with a higher quality brand of P-style pickups to get rid of the noise, would it change the tone, or are they all pretty similar?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
While getting new pickups might reduce noise a bit, the only way of getting a rid of most of is humbucking pickups, which will change the tone a hell of a lot, but it might be worth getting some good pickups anyway to give the tone a bit of a makeover
Upgrade your electronics too, while you're doing that, it'll be okay then.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
New pickups and electronics would do the trick, I suggest EMG, Bartolini, or Seymour Duncan.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
New pickups and electronics would do the trick, I suggest EMG, Bartolini, or Seymour Duncan.

I am doing this with a P bass knock off right now. Doing an complete overhaul of the electronics in a P bass is ridiculously easy and can be done for easily under 90USD.

Seymour Duncan Quarter pounders are a nice upgrade to a decent P bass knock off.
So are you guys saying I should swap them out for active pickups/active EQ? Because everything I've got is passive, so that's all I can figure you mean when you talk about the electronics.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by untitled039
While getting new pickups might reduce noise a bit, the only way of getting a rid of most of is humbucking pickups, which will change the tone a hell of a lot, but it might be worth getting some good pickups anyway to give the tone a bit of a makeover

Precision pickups are actually humbucking. They humbuck each half of the coils. It's a humbucker, but instead of wiring it with 2 single coils, they cut one single coil in two and wired it that way. Hence the split pickup (and why the non-split single coils hum and the split ones don't).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Hergiswi
So are you guys saying I should swap them out for active pickups/active EQ? Because everything I've got is passive, so that's all I can figure you mean when you talk about the electronics.

No--unless you want to.

Electronics on a P bass include the two pots, the wiring, a capacitor and the pickups. Seriously, its the easiest electronic mod on a bass. And if you want to take the easy route, Stewart-MacDonald sells the wiring kits for a P bass, so all you have to do is solder the pups up to the wiring kit, and install it into your bass.