I need to know what amount of watts you would need to play a rehearsal and a gig. Not exact just a rough figure. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by MA 4 ever at Oct 8, 2007,
I can help, but not without a bit more info.

Will your amp be miced up through a PA?
How big will the venue be for the gig?
How many people will be there?
This is not for me to play, its a question I have to answer. Like a standard sized venue say 1,000 people. Just like an idea of how many watts is suitable.
It depends on if you are wanting to play clean or overdriven .

30 tube watts can stay clean that loud, generally (it really depends on the amp though ).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
30 watts for 1000 people? I've played through 100 watts to 50 people before and I'd say it wasn't enough.

Playing to 1000 I'd say you definitely need to go through the PA - and that PA should be about 4KW
Quote by C_Turton
30 watts for 1000 people? I've played through 100 watts to 50 people before and I'd say it wasn't enough.

Playing to 1000 I'd say you definitely need to go through the PA - and that PA should be about 4KW

TUBE watts
Solid State:
50 watts mic'd for gym or theater size venue,
75+ mic'd for bigger venues,
but if u turn the volume way up on SS amps it wont sound as good as it is turned down.

Tube:
I'd say 30 watts cranked for a gym/theater size venue
and more for a larger venue. Mic'd if needed
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Power requirements depend on the size of the venue and whether you will be miked into the PA. I agree for 1000 people it would be best to mic into the PA, then wattage is not a factor, I could use my 6 watt Fender Champ. Mike Campbell of Tom Petty's band uses a Fender Princeton, 12 watts or so, and a couple of other small vintage Fenders.

If you don't mic into the PA then in general you'll want 15 to 30 watts for the practice room, 30-50 watts for small to medium clubs, 100 watts for big places and double that for solid state amps. I run a 1973 Fender Super Reverb all tube amp that's 45 watts and it handles anything but really big places like a building the size of a basketball court or outdoor gigs. Then I switch to my 130 watt Peavey MX and /or mic the Super.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...