was not sure where to post this....but this forum seemed like a good place for it.

just wanted to let out some frustration with the current music scene... it seems like the radio and mtv today are making it very hard for independent artists to make a living just because they are not willing to compromise their musical integrity to play some 3 chord crap songs with no solos!
it seems liek there is no way for a musician to break through clutter to get themselves heard!

do many people here play music proffesionally? just wondering what the proffesionals think about this issue and if anyone with experence can offer words of wisdom that would be welcome
Last edited by shreddyboy at Oct 8, 2007,
yeah thats true but just because a song doesnt have a solo doesnt automatically make it crap.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
The music that is played today on MTV and the radio isn't like what we had back in the 80's and 90's. From the hair bands to GNR and Metallica. Solos today, if there is one in a song, is like 10 seconds long and not very difficult. I never listen to the radio anymore. Nothing on there really interests me... all my music is from cd's where you can still find "great" music
To be honest... Can you really say that current mainstream music is "crap"? People buy it. People like it. Stairway to heaven has been voted like the best song ever or something, but if you'd show it to a classical composer in the 18th century, they wouldn't have thought very highly of it.

Just listen to what you want to listen and do whatever music you want to do.
Quote by dutch5367
I never listen to the radio anymore. Nothing on there really interests me... all my music is from cd's where you can still find "great" music

+1 and i rekon it'll pass, then we can all get a break
I like the radio....Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Take That...good tunes!

If you don't like the radio or MTV.............just go and listen to whatever you want instead.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Couple years and post too late bro.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
fucking n00b.

to be honest mp3 downloaders,,whether you want to admit it are not are why the radio and mtv sucks so bad.just like anything else the industry is just that an industry.why would the labels want to sign a band who tries a little different approach to music when they could just pump out another nickelback clone and make some money.

labels and radio and mtv know music is just going to be downloaded anyways.so that next time you download that torrent of a bands full discography think anout that a little bit .by the by this isnt directly aimed at the TS i dont even know if you dl music.
Quote by Fama
To be honest... Can you really say that current mainstream music is "crap"? People buy it. People like it. Stairway to heaven has been voted like the best song ever or something, but if you'd show it to a classical composer in the 18th century, they wouldn't have thought very highly of it.

Just listen to what you want to listen and do whatever music you want to do.

+1

to TS, if you don't like mainstream music, don't listen to it, if what you're doing is original and more importantly good enough, people will notice
man, I know how it is bro! I have been thinking the same thoughts lately. i posted a thread on this topic here...

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683782

some of the guys here were telling me about Tom Hess Music Careers mentoring class where he personally coaches and t rains you in building a music career no matter what style you play.

it seemed cool to me so i applied and pre-registered, you might want to check his intro video to it here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7kOUdiiwUPU&mode=related&search=
http://tomhess.net.29.m6.net/MusicCareer.aspx
Last edited by I_love_sandbags at Oct 8, 2007,
That's almost every modern industry for you. This is how capitalism works, making money is more important than being "ethical", but from an economic standpoint it make perfect sense. If you were running a label, would you sign a band that would make you almost no money in record sales instead of a "clone band" that could potentially make you millions? Remember, the record labels are run by businessmen, not musicians. They have no idea what it's like to be an independently produced musician, and probably don't care, either. Besides, most people today enjoy listening to mainstream bands, and supply and demand dictates that whatever is in highest demand will be supplied more and less popular items will be cut back. If you don't like the music, don't listen to it. As to the problem with making it as a musician, there's really not much you can do about it. You just have to work your ass off.
I don't think there's much good music on the radio right now. A couple of years ago, I could discover a couple of new bands by listening to the radio, now I think it all sounds the same. I don't think sales numbers is a good measure of how good the music is.
Quote by p o e
lmfao man thats so sick and depraved and yet funny all at once

my hats off to you IbanezSA160, you have embodied the Pit into one little poem
If your frustrated, listen to the music that you like. Music has always been like this, but because media is more widespread (the internet, phones, radio TV etc) that it was 10 years ago, then your gonna notice it more.
thanks guys.... my post was more about how the current music scene is making it difficult for independent artists like me to make a career doing what i love to do instead of just doing it as a hobby.

hey sandbag - thanks for the heads up about Hess' music carreer training class, that video looked interesting, I've read his music business articls on this site before but haven't seen the info about the program yet, but will check it out right now.

edit: sanbags, thanks for that link bro... i have applied for the program, hopefully we'll get to work together when it starts!
Last edited by shreddyboy at Oct 9, 2007,