I currently own a Fender Rumble 25. It was a good beginner amp and it was alright but I now realize that it seriously lacks in volume, quality, and tonal possibilities. The max volume isn't that loud and the sounds starts to get really ****ty past 75% volume. Now that I know I'm serious about playing bass, I think it's time for a new amp.

I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:

- My ABSOLUTE max. is 1000$ (600-800 more realistically)
- Enough power to easily jam with other people and play small gigs
- It would be really nice if it could fit in a car and be relatively easy to carry down stairs.
- Headphone jack for playing quietly in my room
- If I have to choose a certain tone (?) it would be a lot of low end, warm sound. It would be great if it could support all types of sounds though (unlike my Rumble 25)

What do you guys suggest?
my band used that... never failed volume is HUGE at around 5-6 enough for a large bar. 1000 seat auditoriums are NO prblem by that amp!!
^ I'm getting that amp for christmas, and ive done alot of research on it! I have concluded through my research, that its a great amp tht can go very loud
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Quote by the metal bassi
^ I'm getting that amp for christmas, and ive done alot of research on it! I have concluded through my research, that its a great amp tht can go very loud

I just finished reading a review that said "This is a great combo amp, great tone and features, but it is certainly not enough for the stage or even the slightly loud practice space. It just doesn't hold it's own; not nearly enough prescence even with a 50 watt guitar tube amp turned up halfway, and with even moderately loud drumming. As advertised, it's more for the bedroom than the stage" This seems strange to me because it is 220watts right? Shouldn't that be loud enough for a stage or "slightly loud practice"?
Quote by Welsh Guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034

I think this is much better than the Ampeg, low end Ampeg's aren't that good. Louder too!

I agree, only thing is, it does not have a headphone output but if you're looking for an amp that will handle a stage I doubt you'll find many that have them.

Also, just another $50 over your absolute budget and you could get yourself an Ashdown ABM combo, definitely worth the extra money but if you really can't do it the MAG is still a fantastic amp.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I wish the headphone thing wasn't so important but it is because I live at home and I am going to University next year, and both places pretty much require private practicing. Is there no way around it? because those Ashdown's are looking really nice.
Mine is an Ashdown electric Blue 12/180,
12" cone and 180W
cost me £150......not too bad really, good for small gigs. well does the job for me......
I have an electric blue 12/180, and it's not loud enough, it distorts and the 12" speaker can't cut it.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I wish I wasn't going to be living in University residence for a few years because then the sound wouldn't matter... Now I have to rethink my whole situation.... What do you guys suggest? I would like to jam with other people at the minimum, I'm not in a band currently so for now I'll just forget about needing enough power to play any kind of show. What can I get that has a headphone jack..... or...... do you think it is necessary for my situation? I wonder how much the bass sound would bother other people in residence.... Can anyone speak from experience?
Quote by Welsh Guitar
I have an electric blue 12/180, and it's not loud enough, it distorts and the 12" speaker can't cut it.

unfortunately i havnt had a chance to test to max yet....... sad i know.....must try it.....
If the headphone jack is important, I'm 90% sure you'll need to use a combo. Most stacks won't have headphone jacks. The above Ampeg combo is nice.

220 watts realistically should be able to handle gigs. I personally wouldn't spend more than 650-700 because any more than that on a COMBO just seems silly.
For more low end, go with one of these (sorry there's no price for either of these, because they're not even being produced yet)

http://ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba600/115.html

For more versatility, go with one of these

http://ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba600/210.html

Neither have a headphone jack, but if you want to you can just turn it down.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I'm not really a master of combo amps, but it's hard not to recommend the amp I use - the Fender Bassman 250. It comes in either 210 or 115 flavours, has 250W, and fits right in your price range. It's light-ish, and has really good tone. It has a line-out as well, so you can plug into a DI and set the amp to your appropriate stage volume. You can get any tone from murky to hi-fi thanks to the semi-parametric EQ and hi-fi horn. It's probably the only combo I'll ever use (if you don't bother counting my Fender Rumble 15 as an amp).

EDIT: By the very nature of bass amps, they really aren't made to be cranked. The whole point of them having massive power ratings compared to guitar amps is for that very reason. Realistically, just over half/1 O'Clock is about as 'cranked' as a bass amp should get.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
well if you really need a phone jack get a B1 effects pedal. its only like 50 bucks plus its has an assload of effects. i use it for persounal practice because i can move it around easily and i dont wake up the house.
Go for the GK 210 combo, or 212 combo... the 212 combo is AMAZING.... professionals use that thing
Quote by Your41Plague12
For more low end, go with one of these (sorry there's no price for either of these, because they're not even being produced yet)

http://ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba600/115.html

For more versatility, go with one of these

http://ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba600/210.html

Neither have a headphone jack, but if you want to you can just turn it down.

God Bless class-D transformers. A tube preamp combo weighing 50lbs. What a world! 600W out of one or two speakers is a bit silly IMO (there's no replacement for speaker surface area), but it's nice to know the power's there.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ampeg is muddy and although u get low u do not get much clarity... the NEO GK series gets both check out the 212 or the 112 NEOS!!!!
im in college and i don't use a headphone jack. There are just certain times of the day were i can crank it and others were i have to turn it way down. I don't think playing your amp quietly will bother anyone. I'd say go for the bigger amp.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Headphone jacks are for practice amps. For playing quietly in your room, keep the Rumble 25 for practicing and use your new, bigger amp for band practice and gigging.

I recommend Ashdown MAGs for excellent value, excellent power, excellent EQing system and surprisingly light build. If you can get the seperate head and cab version, do so. You'll have ultimate versatility for still less than an Ampeg amp of equal specs.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
You could always keep your old amp around to practice on?
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Quote by sictree
You could always keep your old amp around to practice on?

Very true. My position right now is this:

- I need something to practice on with headphone option (Rumble 25 works)
- No point in buying a better quality, smaller amp because for practice the sound is not really that important
- For that reason, if I want a new amp, I'm going big (relatively) so that would be something like the Ashdown Mag
- I want to be able to jam with other people and have the option of practicing with my friends this year, and new friends I will have in University.

I think I'm gonna go through with it... What are the advantages of buying the head and the cab separately?
Quote by NC777

I think I'm gonna go through with it... What are the advantages of buying the head and the cab separately?

Lots of adaptability. A hell of a lot, but they become a little less manoeverable - well, it'll be seperate pieces, of course.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by NC777

What caustic said, plus, I found the combos were a bitch to carry because they were heavy, with a head/cab, yes you'll have to make two trips but if you're on your own you'll save your back in the long run.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!