Ok so I'm left handed...!

I'm wanting to totally change my rig, as I'm just not happy with my sound.

I started with a Squier strat and a 15 watt MG marshall and then upgraded to a Epiphone Les paul and DSL 401.

I still havent found that hard rock/metal tone. I love pinch harmonics.

I've been thinking and the only way to find out what I want is to try stuff out.

So my question is - Where's the best place in the UK to try out stuff, bearing in mind I'm a lefty. I live just outside of London (Kent). My local store has 1 left handed guitar I think. I need a huge store. I've been into the shops down Denmark street too, and haven't seen much in the way of left handed guitars.

I've always overlooked Ibanez's, so I'd like to try out some of them.

I learnt the hard way that you really have to try before you buy. I bought the DSL 401 off of ebay and have regretted it ever since.

Cheers guys.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Chex
Ok so I'm left handed...!

I'm wanting to totally change my rig, as I'm just not happy with my sound.

I started with a Squier strat and a 15 watt MG marshall and then upgraded to a Epiphone Les paul and DSL 401.

I still havent found that hard rock/metal tone. I love pinch harmonics.

I've been thinking and the only way to find out what I want is to try stuff out.

So my question is - Where's the best place in the UK to try out stuff, bearing in mind I'm a lefty. I live just outside of London (Kent). My local store has 1 left handed guitar I think. I need a huge store. I've been into the shops down Denmark street too, and haven't seen much in the way of left handed guitars.

I've always overlooked Ibanez's, so I'd like to try out some of them.

I learnt the hard way that you really have to try before you buy. I bought the DSL 401 off of ebay and have regretted it ever since.

Cheers guys.

You've got the Soho soundhouse, they should have some left handed guitars.

Also, I remember visiting a shop in that general area which had quite a few left handed guitars (and a twelve string bass). It was on a corner somewhere and most of the inventory was located in the basement. Unfortunately I don't remember the name...
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
If your lookng for tone, then yor barking up the wrong tree. Get a better amp, get better pickups.

If you like pinch harmonics, get some active humbuckers for your epi. Maybe an EMG 85 for the bridge and a 60 for the neck, or seymour duncan blackouts
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
If your lookng for tone, then yor barking up the wrong tree. Get a better amp, get better pickups.

If you like pinch harmonics, get some active humbuckers for your epi. Maybe an EMG 85 for the bridge and a 60 for the neck, or seymour duncan blackouts

Yes, tone mainly comes down to the amp, but that doesn't mean that in every thread of a person asking advice about a new guitar people should suggest a new amp first.

Granted, a good amp is important, but on the other hand, getting a new guitar can also boost your playing.

By the way, I find the classic "3000 guitar through a 100 amp < 100 guitar through a 3000 amp" comparison to be flawed:

- first of all we're not talking about 3 grand upgrades here. A boutique tube amp can work wonders on even the worst pickups you can imagine, but if a person goes from an MG to a small tube combo, the tone will improve, but not as much as you might hope for.

- secondly, a good guitar through an inexpensive SS amp might not sound that good, but it's not the end of the world. Also keep in mind that there are other things than tone in the world of guitars. A new guitar can inspire someone to improve their technique or it can make playing the guitar more comfortable.

Finally, not everyone is looking for world class tone and are just looking for a nice new guitar which is a bit more suited towards their style than their Squier.

As far as new pickups go, there are more pickups that handle pinched harmonics well than active EMGs. Most high-output quality humbuckers will be just fine. I suggest you look into DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan and Bareknuckles (that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy EMG pickups, they're just not the final answer when it comes to high output pickups).
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yes, tone mainly comes down to the amp, but that doesn't mean that in every thread of a person asking advice about a new guitar people should suggest a new amp first.

Well, I acytually totally agree with your point and I'm not one of those guys who always sas 'new amp' automatically.

However, fromt he original post:
"I still havent found that hard rock/metal tone. I love pinch harmonics."

He already has a strat style and an les paul style. Tonally and feel wise, hes pretty much covered. He self-admitedly said he wasn't happy with his sound. Therefore getting another guitar would not work because unless he spends huge amounts of money, hes always going to be a little dissapointed.

Therefore new pickups or a new amp would work more towards him getting the sound he wanted.

Also, maybe a distortion pedal?
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
Well, I acytually totally agree with your point and I'm not one of those guys who always sas 'new amp' automatically.

I'm glad to hear that because the "new amp gestapo" is really getting on nerves lately.

Quote by DagMX
Therefore new pickups or a new amp would work more towards him getting the sound he wanted.

Also, maybe a distortion pedal?

I find changing your pickups is something you do when you've got the gear you want, or at least your rig is pretty complete and at a gig worthy level, when your still not quite happy with your sound. A pickup change is more effective as a way to "fine tune" your sound than it is as a way to completely change your sound.

Another good applecation for a pickup change is if you have a great rig and you want to elevate a guitar which is sound-wise below your other gear to a level where it's a useful addition to your other guitars.

An example would be if you a bunch of MIA fenders and a big tube amp and you buy a Squier. Maybe you like the way it plays, but tone wise it can't compete with your other stuff, so to raise it to a level were it's a useful instrument you change the pickups.
I think EMG's are are bit too much.

I was thinking of getting new pickups for the Les Paul.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

I emailed the guy and he said a Warthog in the bridge would suit me, so I might get that.

I'm gonna sell the DSL and look for an amp that handle high gain. Plus I only really play in my room, and 40 watts of tube is just too much I think.

I was also thinking of getting Pro PAF's in my strat, as it plays really well for a Squier. But I might just get a real Fender and mod that. I'm still undecided on that one.

Oh and I have a TS9.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

the dsl should have you covered but i mean, not everyone likes them. best thing to do is to try various other amps and see if any of them float your boat more. also try other guitars through your amp if at all possible
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I'm glad to hear that because the "new amp gestapo" is really getting on nerves lately.

I find changing your pickups is something you do when you've got the gear you want, or at least your rig is pretty complete and at a gig worthy level, when your still not quite happy with your sound. A pickup change is more effective as a way to "fine tune" your sound than it is as a way to completely change your sound.

Another good applecation for a pickup change is if you have a great rig and you want to elevate a guitar which is sound-wise below your other gear to a level where it's a useful addition to your other guitars.

An example would be if you a bunch of MIA fenders and a big tube amp and you buy a Squier. Maybe you like the way it plays, but tone wise it can't compete with your other stuff, so to raise it to a level were it's a useful instrument you change the pickups.

I do only want to slightly change my sound to be honest.

The Les Paul bridge pickup is a bit too muddy/thick, whereas my Strat is really tinny and thin! I'm just trying to find a medium, and more gain in the process.

Thanks for the input guys its appreciated.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by Chex
I think EMG's are are bit too much.

I was thinking of getting new pickups for the Les Paul.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

I emailed the guy and he said a Warthog in the bridge would suit me, so I might get that.

I'm gonna sell the DSL and look for an amp that handle high gain. Plus I only really play in my room, and 40 watts of tube is just too much I think.

I was also thinking of getting Pro PAF's in my strat, as it plays really well for a Squier. But I might just get a real Fender and mod that. I'm still undecided on that one.

Oh and I have a TS9.

A tube screamer can only be used to it's full potential with a tube amp, so that's a nice thing to have, but with a solid state amp it's not ideal.

As far as how many watts is too much, I have a loud as hell 50 watt Mesa and I can use it bedroom levels without people complaining. Just keep in mind that if you can get a good deal on an amp with more watts than you'd like, you can always get something like a THD Powerplate to keep it under control.

Modding a Squier with new pickups, especially if you like the way it feels and you have a good amp, can be a great way getting the most out of a guitar that would otherwise be rendered pretty useless by other, higher quality and better sounding instruments.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
A tube screamer can only be used to it's full potential with a tube amp, so that's a nice thing to have, but with a solid state amp it's not ideal.

As far as how many watts is too much, I have a loud as hell 50 watt Mesa and I can use it bedroom levels without people complaining. Just keep in mind that if you can get a good deal on an amp with more watts than you'd like, you can always get something like a THD Powerplate to keep it under control.

Modding a Squier with new pickups, especially if you like the way it feels and you have a good amp, can be a great way getting the most out of a guitar that would otherwise be rendered pretty useless by other, higher quality and better sounding instruments.

Yeah I might look into modding my Squier, although I've always wanted a Flloyd rose, and my guitar isn't built for one apparently. It would need a lot of work.

Which is why I was thinking of maybe trying a few Ibanez out for my metal and whammy bar needs.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

holiday music has a lefties section. it's in leytonstone in east london, though according to an advert in guitarist this month they're moving out to essex somewhere?

regardless, were i a lefty, that'd be my first stop. especially since you're in London.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'm a lefty and very few shops have av good variety of lefty guitars.
dawsons music shop is the biggest in manchester and i went in once and it had 3 lefty squiers and one jackson.
(it had about 2 acoustics and 4basses).
and this is the biggest music shop in manchetser
yeah, it'd truly suck to be a left-handed guitarist. to be honest, if you're ambidextrous enough, it's probably best learning right-handed, unless you can't play as well that way... you get much better value and choice...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get yourself an Epi SG, Flip it round, slap some EMG's (81/85 or 60/85) in it and your good to go!

Then burn the MG, and buy a spider III >:- D

...or a laney amp
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
I've tried playing right handed and it’s just never gonna happen. I’ve come too far as a lefty!

And I hate SG’s btw :P

My quest for the ultimate tone continues!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

oh yeah, i meant if you were starting out. if you've already learnt, you kinda have to live with it...

best of luck!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
theres a shop in leyton if you're willing to travel called lefties. and what dya know its devoted to selling just left handed guitars, never been there myself though but though id let ya know
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
yeah that's the one i'm talking about, it's in holiday music. they have a whole wall of left-handed guitars. but they're moving soon.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ahh never realised lefties used to be part of holiday music they never had any kind of seperate shop name there, ahh well. Holiday used to have a big lefty section i used to go there all the time, n was amazed by how many great lefty guitars they had (n was sometimes jealous cos they never had the right hand equivelant for me to try). Anywho Holiday music has moved to southend now so try there if ya like
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
yeah, i assumed it was just the same shop... they did seem to have a load of left-handed guitars (at least compared to most shops)...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah that's the one i'm talking about, it's in holiday music. they have a whole wall of left-handed guitars. but they're moving soon.

I better get going quick then eh?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

(they may have moved already, i'm not sure)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?