Well I've been playing guitar for about 4-5 years now, and I've upgraded to my first tube (ordered this morning). I've been reading up about them, and because of the positive feedback I got from you UG'ers I decided to get a Peavey Valveking 112. What I want to know is are there any real DO NOTS involved in tube amp maintenance and use? Like stuff that would be OK on a SS amp, but is death to a tube.

Thanks in advance =D.
Read the manual. Turn it on and off exactly in the sequence recommended (power on, 30 or more seconds later standby on.) I recommend don't leave it on standby unattended, and don't leave it on standby more than 15 minutes at a time. Enjoy yourself.
DO-
Let the tubes warm up for about 30 sec-1 minute before you play
Play loud enough to hear glorius tube tone without shattering your ear drum
Spend some time finding the right setting
Have a great time with a tube amp
Treat your amp with respect, dont ust toss it in the back of your car, place it where it wont roll around
Replace the tubes every 1-2 years

DO NOT
Touch the tubes with bare hands
Move the amp while it's on/right when it's off (The tubes are hot and more likely to break)
Turn on and play with the volume all the way immediately

Congrats by the way
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
don't turn it on at a high volume and start playing straight away. put it on standby and leave it for at least a minute. Be a little more careful about throwing it about in case you damage the tubes. do NOT handle this while plugged in, whilst this is dangerous with an SS amp and you can get a shock which could kill you (most likely won't) you're going to get an even bigger shock from a tube, levels which can easily kill
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^^ Do you mean don't touch the tubes with bare hands when they're still hot, or don't touch them with bare hands ever?
Use your standby when you're not playing it (as in walking away for a few minutes). And when travelling, avoid harsh jarring movements, as the tubes are made of glass. Also, its a good idea to let the tubes cool down a bit before moving the amp, as once again they are glass, and are brittle.
2005 American Made Stratocaser HSS
2002 Yamaha Acoustic
Mid 60's Toledo Hollow Body Jazz Electric
Mid 80's Taro 12 String acoustic
Traynor 50 Watt Custom Blue Tube Amp
1958 Re-Issue Gibson Les Paul
2007 Taylor 815 CE Acoustic
^ yes about the tubes when transporting, if you KNOW that you are going to have a really bumpy ride, take the tubes out (remember unplug, still don't use bare hands in case) and store them separately and securely
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Thanks a lot guys, I'm really looking forward to giving this baby a play!

About the tubes though, are there any specific way I can make them last as long as they can? Like maintenance, routine cleans or whatever.
^ the lower volume you play at the longer they'll last, but where's the fun in that. They should do you around 2 years give or take. pre amp tubes could easily last up to 4 years
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
where is the fun in that? lol

edit: also, leaving it on standby while you go to the loo or whatever is actually better than turning it on and off. constant heating and cooling expands and contracts the glass making it more brittle.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
^If you don't turn it on they last about 100 years.

thats hardcore vintage
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
don't turn it on at a high volume and start playing straight away. put it on standby and leave it for at least a minute. Be a little more careful about throwing it about in case you damage the tubes. do NOT handle this while plugged in, whilst this is dangerous with an SS amp and you can get a shock which could kill you (most likely won't) you're going to get an even bigger shock from a tube, levels which can easily kill

what do you mean by 'throwing it about'
do you mean he has to turn the amp off to move it, or otherwise you could get a shock ?? cause i moved my amp several times when it was on and the only thing happened was a sound from the spring reverb hitting the ground...
by throwing about i mean tossing it into the back of a car or whatever, by handling while plugged in i mean more maintenance
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yeah. should have been more clear on that. it goes without saying, but you never know with some people lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
ah ok, i didn't really understand it because my english isn't that good yet and i tend to not get simple stuff
i thought you meant something different.
but yeah unplugging it is pretty obvious
didn't you have a thread a couple of days ago where you had a £2k budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, but I didn't say I had 2k, I was just curious about how much it would cost to have a completely multi genre set.
oh, ok.

yeah, i think everything's covered. have you bought the vk already?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, but I've heard the tubes may be pretty rubbish. If I ever felt compelled to change them, what brand would you say I should buy? I read the tube thread, but I'm afraid I'm gonna need it in more simple terms than that, maybe if someone could write it in idiot language for me.
yeah, that's way over my head too. make a post in the tube thread, and roc will most likely get back to you...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?