Right now I have an ESP Viper-400. It's an awesome guitar, but I want something with a Floyd, and that is a little more my style of body (I like V's). I came across this: http://instrumentpro.com/P-PEA00593.html

I've read some really good reviews on that guitar. Someone once suggested the Peavey Rotor EX, but I don't care for explorers, and this one seems like pretty much the same thing except with a V shape.

So would that be a good guitar? That is the only decent place I can find it.

I would be running it through a Line 6 Spider 112 amp and a Dunlop original CryBaby.

Eventually I will want to get something like the Peavey 6505 head and a decent cab, but for now its the Line 6.

I also use Earnie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings.

And one more question: would it be a good idea to switch out the pickups in the Vortex (if I do get it) with the EMG 81/85's in my Viper?

Thanks for any help!
Quote by Horlicks
IMO you should get the amp first

I just posted this in another thread but it's relevant here as well:

Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yes, tone mainly comes down to the amp, but that doesn't mean that in every thread of a person asking advice about a new guitar people should suggest a new amp first.

Granted, a good amp is important, but on the other hand, getting a new guitar can also boost your playing.

By the way, I find the classic "3000 guitar through a 100 amp < 100 guitar through a 3000 amp" comparison to be flawed:

- first of all we're not talking about 3 grand upgrades here. A boutique tube amp can work wonders on even the worst pickups you can imagine, but if a person goes from an MG to a small tube combo, the tone will improve, but not as much as you might hope for.

- secondly, a good guitar through an inexpensive SS amp might not sound that good, but it's not the end of the world. Also keep in mind that there are other things than tone in the world of guitars. A new guitar can inspire someone to improve their technique or it can make playing the guitar more comfortable.

Finally, not everyone is looking for world class tone and are just looking for a nice new guitar which is a bit more suited towards their style than their Squier.

Also, he already he's going to get the amp in the future.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
The Line 6 isn't so bad. It gets a little muddy when I turn it up loud enough to hear over my drummer, but it still sounds good. Not as good as I would like it to, but good nonetheless.

About the licensed Floyds, I've played dozens of them at the local stores. They seem to work fine. And everybody who I've asked said they stay in tune just as well as an original Floyd.
if you get a guitar with a licensed floyd, it would probably be best to play it first to see if it is a good one.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Quote by zackk
if you get a guitar with a licensed floyd, it would probably be best to play it first to see if it is a good one.

There are no shops around me that carry it. I can't even find it on Peavey's own website, but all the reviews of it say it's good.
Quote by mafropetee
There are no shops around me that carry it. I can't even find it on Peavey's own website, but all the reviews of it say it's good.

Consumer reviews are, for the most part, people trying to convince themselves they didn't waste their money on something they don't like.

The ones I like to read say "I bought it on a whim" with no prior research or anything, and I love it...those are usually the reviews that actually have meaning.
2007 Deluxe Lone Star Strat
2004 Standard HSS Strat
1993 American Standard Strat

Peavey Classic 30 (The practice)
Mesa Lonestar Special (The gigger)
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I just posted this in another thread but it's relevant here as well:

Also, he already he's going to get the amp in the future.

+1

i generally say get an amp first, but that's assuming the current guitar is in good condition, and reasonably well-suited to the genres required.

But the amp does need to be upgraded there too...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The amp that I want will run me around $1800. The guitar that I want will run me around $500. I don't have $1800.

But may as well ask about the amp... would a 6505 be good? I have played on 5150's and they are just mind blowing, and since the 6505 is basically the sequel to the 5150...

It would be awesome if I could find a 5150 on ebay though.
6505 is pretty good if you don't need really nice cleans- i mean it's not great for jazz or blues, and if you only played classic rock there are better options, but if you play a wide range of stuff from classic rock and heavier, it's pretty sweet. More aimed towards high gain, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
6505 is pretty good if you don't need really nice cleans- i mean it's not great for jazz or blues, and if you only played classic rock there are better options, but if you play a wide range of stuff from classic rock and heavier, it's pretty sweet. More aimed towards high gain, of course.

Metal. Specifically metal solos. That's all I really need it for. If I need a nice clean sound, I can pick up my Ovation and mic it. I'm in a band and we are gonna start gigging soon. For now that Line 6 will have to do but eventually I'll need something much better.
yeah it should be grand for that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Aww Threadstarter, I have the exact guitar. The pickups are amazing in it! If I could, I'd stick a tremolo in it and be on my way.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Aww Threadstarter, I have the exact guitar. The pickups are amazing in it! If I could, I'd stick a tremolo in it and be on my way.

Yepp. That's really the main strength of the guitar, hence why I'm wondering if I can put them in the Vortex. Would that be possible?
Hell, if you could find someone close by who knows how to install those things, it could be done. I see you're from Florida. I know of a friend in Daytona Beach who can do that if you really want to go that far.

Other than that, I'd suggest you check in Orlando, because they'll definitely have someone there.
Get off my lawn.