and i wanna make this thing sound fairly decent, but i'm new to customizing things so i figured someone on here could give me a few suggestions. at the moment i'm going to go for a pickup swap ( seymour duncan invaders i think) and some locking tuners. i might also give it a new paint job although i don't mind how it looks at the moment (it's kind of like a cherry sunburst kinda thing). is there anything else i can do to it that would improve it?

oh yeah and is it possibly to put a LP pickguard like what comes on the standards onto the specials?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
You might want to swap the body for something not made out of plywood.

But seriously, Epi Specials are pretty crappy guitars. If you want to upgrade it, I wouldn't recommend dropping Duncans in it.

There's lots of neat stuff over at Guitar Fetish. Decent quality, and it's inexpensive.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
do they ship to the UK?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I'm sure they do. I have no idea what the rates or whatever are. You might want to shoot them an e-mail. Their e-mail address is located on the Info page.

There are other websites which are based in the UK. You can find them on the Getting Started on Customizing thread. I believe it is stickied, if not, use the search bar.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

ok cheers, it says they ship worldwide so i should be fine. i'm not quite sure what pickups i'd be wanting though, could you recommend any?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I've heard good things about the Classic '59s. The only bad thing I've heard about them is the gold covering on the gold covered version isn't too great, and looks like a bastard child of a chrome cover and a gold cover.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

ok cheers, do you know if they're agood alround pickup? i usually play punk stuff but i also play abit of other styles so i'm looking for something that'll suit most styles.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
They're a PAF based pickup, one of the most versatile pickups around. They can do blues to metal. I'm sure they could handle punk.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I'd stick some EMG's into it, since those pickups don't really care that much about what sort of wood your guitar is made of.
Orange Enthousiast.
wouldn't EMG's be too high output for most styles of music?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
dunno actually, I'm mostly a metal player, but I occasionaly play jazz using my EMG 60 in the neck to get a nice fat sound, and I roll the volume down to keep it clean.
Orange Enthousiast.
hmmm i suppose it could work, although it'd take me ages to save up for EMG's which is a bummer
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
haha you're gonna laugh but i'm using a MG50, but i use a DS1 instead of the amp distortion
Quote by Martyr's Prayer