just replaced the pups in my epi lp with them...when the switch is on treble they sound great, but rhythm is wayyyy to low n muddy..

is it just my guitar, or my boss md-2 pedal? just replaced the battery for the pups today so that's not it.

I used to have an ltd viper n it was muddy, but nothing like this.
Gear
Epiphone Quilt Top Les Paul w/ EMG 81-85
Crate XT120R
Boss TU-3
EHX Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge, DF-7

Myspace
Try raising or lowering the neck pickup, sounds like it's too high.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
pickup height does explain it. also could be type of wood
Is the 85 in the neck? Sounds like an issue with the height of the pickup, though I think they are a bit muddy in the neck. I prefer the 85 in the bridge, with the 81 in the neck personally
mahogany is a very dark wood, and the 85 is a "bassy" pickup. Try change your amp eq
Quote by CJRocker
Is the 85 in the neck? Sounds like an issue with the height of the pickup, though I think they are a bit muddy in the neck. I prefer the 85 in the bridge, with the 81 in the neck personally

but then what do you do for cleans? 81 in the neck is a little off imo.
Quote by cheames
but then what do you do for cleans? 81 in the neck is a little off imo.

...the 85 or the 81? Seriously, 81 in the neck is not uncommon.
Quote by CJRocker

i know its not uncommon, doesn't mean i have to like it.
Everybody has their own opinion, I prefer a 60 in the neck, but lets help the guy.

Most rhythm for rock and such is actually done on the bridge pickup,
but still try adjusting heights and changing your EQ.
Quote by joeymaxx
Everybody has their own opinion, I prefer a 60 in the neck, but lets help the guy.

Most rhythm for rock and such is actually done on the bridge pickup,
but still try adjusting heights and changing your EQ.

haha thanks very much, i'll try adjusting the height.
Gear
Crate XT120R
Boss TU-3
EHX Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge, DF-7

Myspace
I put the same setof 81/85 in my LP didnt like em. To muddy as you say. Its the wood. You can adjust the eq and will help alot. I took em out put the stocks back in. But they sound really good in my strat. The brighter wood makes a big difference. But they do have to much output some times for most things. I had a set of 89s in the strat before and the 81/85 have alot more output. I have to reset the amp when I play the strat compared to my other guitars.
Quote by CJRocker

Tell me, how does the 81 sound like in the neck position?
Will I be able to do bluesy-sounding stuff on it, and also have a big-sounding clean tone like I do with my 85?
And do you have soundclips as well?
Quote by CJRocker

i have yet to see a guitar come stocked with an 81 in the neck other then an 81 active set.
its always 81 bridge or 85/60 in the neck.
so yeah....its very uncommon for me
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
i have yet to see a guitar come stocked with an 81 in the neck other then an 81 active set.
its always 81 bridge or 85/60 in the neck.
so yeah....its very uncommon for me

ESP Kirk Hammett comes to mind. There is another ESP signature model like that too I think, though I can't think of it.
My ESP comes equipped with 2 EMG-81s stock.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Quote by CJRocker
ESP Kirk Hammett comes to mind. There is another ESP signature model like that too I think, though I can't think of it.

the guy did say other then the active 81 set.

To the thread started should have when with an 81-60
but try lowering the pickup or mess around with you amp and effects settings..
maybe try turning down the distortion,you never need it to be turn up all the way.
Quote by Tackleberry
I put the same setof 81/85 in my LP didnt like em. To muddy as you say. Its the wood. You can adjust the eq and will help alot. I took em out put the stocks back in. But they sound really good in my strat. The brighter wood makes a big difference. But they do have to much output some times for most things. I had a set of 89s in the strat before and the 81/85 have alot more output. I have to reset the amp when I play the strat compared to my other guitars.

yeah but isn't the zakk wylde signature guitar is a lp with the same pups in it, i doubt he would play something that sounded ****ty right?
Gear
Crate XT120R
Boss TU-3
EHX Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge, DF-7

Myspace