from my understanding, it's way more important to know your barre chords than your open chords. But is it still important to master your open chords? if so, why?
I see, I'm under the impession that barre chords are simply open chords moved up a fret, true?
Well yeh but barre chords actually have rules, so if you understand barre chord basic rule you'll be able to play all chords. For open chords there's more memorising to do
No, not at all. I only use barre chords when I absolutely do not know an open chord, and even then, I avoid them, and make new patterns up. Open chords just sound better in my opinion.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Yes, open chords are usually easier to play, sound better and require less moving beween fret positions.
Well, alot of the music I see and listen to on youtube. they are using barre chords, i rarely see open chords, why are they using barre chords if they sound so terribe?
What's the problem with learning both? Are you honestly so lazy so as to only learn barred chords as opposed to open as well? Play an open C then play a barred C. They sound different, do they not? That's one reason among many to learn multiple ways to play the same chord, it isn't hard.
I know both. Sometimes barre chords sound better sometimes open it just depends on what you're going for. Open chords have better sustain but barre chords are easier to learn once you know all the shapes. But open chords take a lot less muscle to play.
Honeybiscuit is here.
Last edited by honeybiscuit at Oct 8, 2007,
with open chords you can learn different voicings of that chord.

you learn the understanding of what makes up a chord, the notes behind it.
what notes work together, and compliment each other.

you're able to play with another guy and be on a different part of the board.

and some chords are movable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

well said dude
Quote by Serial 177
well said dude

thanks dude
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

why wouldnt you learn them? they arent even hard to remember. besides, you can move any of the open chords around with a little bit of adjustments so right there you can have different ways of voicing chords.

open chords are useful also because you can easily add notes to make riffs and melodies that go around the chords. something thats harder to do with barre chords. with open chords you can fret som notes and have open strings ring out while you play a melodic line. it makes it seem more "piano like" in a way. of course you can do these with barre chords (think classical guitar), but there are still things you can do with open chords that you either cant do with barre chords, or is hard to do with them.
I think its important to learn all of the chords personally.
Quote by Serial 177
well said dude

Quote by black_box
I agree, good work sir!!

She's not a dude
Quote by jj1565

+1 = massive quote post.
Quote by Shylock
I see, I'm under the impession that barre chords are simply open chords moved up a fret, true?

Therefore it follows that you can't learn barre chords without first learning open chords, therefore you've successfully negated your own argument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn how to build the different types of chords and you'll have your answer.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
^^^ it's ok, happens all the time, thank you guys. i'm just going on my personal experience.

^^i dont think ull want to try everything in life, and im not sure u'll be able to know everything either.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Haha, just learn em!!

How noob would you have to look if someone asks you to play an open C7 and you just stand there with a dumb look on your face?! hahaha
Quote by Serendipity
She's not a dude

You beat me to it!

Jenny is cool enough to be both a dude and a Girl-bot at the same time
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Open chords = clean
Barre and power chords = distortion

or else it sounds like crap.
Quote by Serendipity
How to smash it

hahaha.
well that could be useful. how to look cool onstage smashing an old piece of crap...how to smash your guitar so you can avoid doing so in the future...
hahah
What's the difference between an open chord and a barre chord?

Fundamentally, nothing. A chord, without extensions, is made up of three notes - the root, the third, and the 5th. Take an open C chord - Root, third, 5th octave, third. C, E, G, C, E

The barre chord of it, from the 3rd fret of the A string is - Root, 5th, Octave, 3rd, 5th.

Fundamentally, they are the same chord, C, E, G, the difference is that in the open variation the third is literally a third from the root, rather than a 10th, an octave above it. The closeness to the original, lower root, gives it a warmer, fuller, deeper sound, just as your low E string sounds fuller and deeper than your high e string. Lower partials as opposed to upper partials, both are the same note, but they have a different flavour.

Also, the way it is engineered, an open string fundamentally will vibrate louder and longer than a fretted string, adding to a more even, warmer sound.

As for which one is better, its up to you, and what you need them for. The C shape can, in itself, be turned into a barre chord although the hand position can take a little getting used to at first. It's not important at all to know the 'open chords', but instead you should know the theory behind it and realise that a C is a C, a G is a G, regardless of where it it placed on the neck (or string, as the case may be).
Quote by Masonpwiley
Open chords = clean
Barre and power chords = distortion

or else it sounds like crap.

I'm sorry, but I just could not let this go.

I know it's only your opinion, but if you think that is the case you are doing something wrong.

Many classic tracks are centered around distorted open chords, and many with clean barre chords

To Answer the thread though, Yes it is important. Why? because they are both equally important and versatile and the more you learn the better you'll be.
Last edited by cuthbertg at Oct 10, 2007,
Tons of songs are done with distorted open chords not the ear splitting super shred distortion but some good gain type.Check out AC/DC alot of their stuff is like that.
What is wrong with the guitar playing world these days?What ever happened to starting with an old acoustic and learning puff the magic dragon?I see lots of posts with " hey I am A noob playing for 6 months need to know how to play(insert dragonforce song here)". Start with the open chords and work your way up from there.Its all well and good to know barre chords but if you don't know the basic open chords you will look like a tool later in life.
A friend of mine was like that could shred all day long but ask him to play a G chord and he would look at you like you just said the sky is purple.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09