Poll Options
View poll results: Is it?
Yes
53 44%
No
68 56%
Voters: 121.
Page 1 of 2
Hard question. Most people who say they're open-minded (about music) say it because they think they like everything. Amusingly, they can't stand metal, REAL punk, classical, jazz or blues. But real open-mindedness is, while commendable, near impossible. There'll always be predjudices.
I'm a communist. Really.
Being open minded in music sense is not about liking it all but at least listening to it and giving it a go rather than just shooting it out the water.

Being open minded is about trying things, not liking everything. Its good too try things (within reason =])
Yes. Being completely open minded makes you a pushover.

One thing which annoys me about this new "OMG B OPEN MYNDED AND RESPECT MI OPINIONZ" trend on here is how people seem to strive to make people think they have diverse and open tastes, even if they don't.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I hate people who never disagree with people about things. That way you never get a debate.
Not really, tho you should also be critical of things you see, or maybe questioning is a bettrer way of putting it.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Quote by Raziel2p
Hard question. Most people who say they're open-minded (about music) say it because they think they like everything. Amusingly, they can't stand metal, REAL punk, classical, jazz or blues. But real open-mindedness is, while commendable, near impossible. There'll always be predjudices.

Hmm y'know I'm one of those people who say I'm open minded about music But then again, I do enjoy some real punk, metal, classical (at times, and then mainly on the acoustic guitar but I do listen to it at times), jazz and blues. Norway ftw, btw.

But, regarding ops question. The obvious answer is yes. Being TOO open minded, is a bad thing, being open minded, is not.
Being too eager to prove just how open minded you are is a very bad thing. When you close your eyes to everything in front of you to prove a point about yourself bad things usually come as a result.
I think you have to define open mindedness. I'm seeing a lot of variation.
"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

And I'd say: yes. Because there's alot of extreme views that are

1) Stupid (see: scientology)
2) Really stupid (see: nazis)
3) So stupid a Rob Schneider movie feels intellectualy stimulating (see: all other president candidates that aren't Yakult).

You need to have a solid, logical ground IMO and be critical of things.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
subjective subject
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Are we talking about general open mindedness? Or musically?

I'm not very open minded when it comes to music. If there's something which I don't think I'll enjoy, I don't bother listening, really.

And if I end up listening to it anyway, I never like it.

Like with Avril Lavigne. Whenever they show her on TV, I change the channel. When I was taking the bus and they played her song on the radio, I heard it, but still didn't like it.

And that happens a few hundered times with every artist on TV. I'm not gonna force myself to like something. I have a right to an opnion. If someone asks if I like something, I can always say no.

For some very odd reason, I have absolutely no idea why, but Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent, Timbaland, Avril Lavigne, Chamillionaire, Fall Out Boy, Jennifer Lopez, Gwen Stefani, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Sean Kingston, Rihanna, Beyonce and Green Day somehow don't appeal to me. At all.
Last edited by sashki at Oct 8, 2007,
I think most of us could agree on defining open-mindedness as willingness to try new things and be open to other perspectives without letting other personal biases get in the way. It doesn't necessarily mean liking everything you try, but being willing to try it. Some in here seem to let open-mindedness overlap with indecisiveness, which I disagree with.
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by Quintessence153
I think most of us could agree on defining open-mindedness as willingness to try new things and be open to other perspectives without letting other personal biases get in the way. It doesn't necessarily mean liking everything you try, but being willing to try it. Some in here seem to let open-mindedness overlap with indecisiveness, which I disagree with.

I agree.
Yes, because open-minded people are the ones who smear peanut butter on their dicks and have a dog lick it off because they're curious about new things.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Yes, because open-minded people are the ones who smear peanut butter on their dicks and have a dog lick it off because they're curious about new things.

Last time I told you a secret
Quote by Kensai

It's cool, at first she insults you, but then she changes her mind and call you a hot man.

It's true, I was there when it happened.
yes because it would be too easy for someone to manipulate you

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Yes, it gets in the way of your ability to hate things.

Quote by Kensai

Well, I didn't include any names on purpose, you peanut butter fucker.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Renka
It's cool, at first she insults you, but then she changes her mind and call you a hot man.

It's true, I was there when it happened.

Yeah she sure can't make up her mind...

Quote by Dinkydaisy
Well, I didn't include any names on purpose, you peanut butter fucker.

Don't you have a dog to be molested by somewhere?
Last edited by Kensai at Oct 8, 2007,
Depends on what your talking about.

Quick awnser, No, not really, but it depends on the subject.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by Kensai

Always playing hard to catch.

But then, who can blame her... Two handsome, Swedish men like us... <.<
I'll try out new things, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. If something to me's ****, then it's ****. End of.
Kisses and cuddles.
Quote by Kensai

Don't you have a dog to be molested by somewhere?

Don't play it cool, you know I flew him over to Sweden in a suitcase because you were so desperate to try it that way.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by obi500
Being open minded in music sense is not about liking it all but at least listening to it and giving it a go rather than just shooting it out the water.

Being open minded is about trying things, not liking everything. Its good too try things (within reason =])

Bingo, we have a winner.
You've already made it a bad thing by calling it "TOO" openminded. The question would have been more objective had it been worded "Is there such a thing as being too openminded?"

So yes, clearly being too openminded is a bad thing because being TOO anything is a bad thing linguistically speaking. But I don't even know if there's such a thing as being too openminded to begin with. Figure if someone is so openminded, atleast they won't be pushing their shit on me cause they'll be all live and let live, so even if they're living in what from my perspective would be beyond boundaries (and I don't even know where those boundaries are from my perspective) it wouldn't matter cause it wouldn't affect me

So I think there's not even such a thing (although there may be such a thing...I don't know), from where I stand at the mo, an openminded person tries new things and doesn't impede people's actions and that is all just fine and dandy with me.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Don't play it cool, you know I flew him over to Sweden in a suitcase because you were so desperate to try it that way.

Yeah, turned out he only liked to watch though. Well we gave him a good show.

Quote by Renka
Always playing hard to catch.

But then, who can blame her... Two handsome, Swedish men like us... <.<

I sure can't. Must be in the genes or just plain old social conditioning
^
too attractive or too friendly

But some kittens are just too CUTE

Yes. When you're too open minded you can never conclude upon anything and as Duncang said, it makes you a pushover.

That being said, I'd rather be too open minded than too closed-minded.
yes it is. who remembers that thread about chris crocker ****ing his brother, and there were all those people who were like "OMGZ!! its his own choice! if he wants to have homosexual incest with his brother than its his choice" also these kind of people who try and sound so open minded that they neither agree to or disagree with anything, not only is it annoying, but its fake, all in all i hate overly open minded people.
Yes, other people's thoughts, views and opinions on everything and anything are usually dumbassed and not worth opening your mind to anyway...
Page 1 of 2