So my band is recording a demo tomorrow, but we don't have a full-time bass player, so I'm going to borrow my friend's P-Bass and play both bass and guitar via overdubs. I'm planning to record the bass through a DI box, but I may want to split the signal and run it through an amp in order to do a live take with drums, bass and rhythm guitar. My friend who's loaning me his bass said I could borrow his amp, but it's ****ing huge and I don't want to have to move two large amps. I've heard that guitar amps will blow up if you play a bass through them too loudly, so my question is this: how loud can I safely turn up the volume and gain on my guitar amp (which is a 60W Peavey 6505 2X12 combo) without risking damaging it? And will that be loud enough to be heard over a drummer and another guitarist?
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
There is no safe volume. Bass speakers cone travel is a lot more that guitar speakers, because the waves are much longer (up to 35 feet.) Pushing low frequencies takes a lot of power, so you would be in danger of blowing the speakers even at very low volume. If you had a bass cab you could hook it up to the 6505 but you will start to distort at relatively low volume.
similarly, my friend has been playing a borrowed bass through a powered set of headphones, so far its worked well for him, but is this still dangerous?
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Woah, I guess I'll get the bass amp, then.

Thanks for keeping from blowing up my amp, guys.
Dunlop Straps™

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
ironman45, I think that's ok because headphones are designed to produce a greater range of frequencies, even if they do have to do it through inferring harmonics or whatever it's called. And even if your friend did blow up his headphones, he'd have considerably less to worry about than if he'd done it to a $1000 tube amp.
Dunlop Straps™

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Missingno476
ironman45, I think that's ok because headphones are designed to produce a greater range of frequencies, even if they do have to do it through inferring harmonics or whatever it's called. And even if your friend did blow up his headphones, he'd have considerably less to worry about than if he'd done it to a $1000 tube amp.

OK, thanks.
I was worried more about the headphones blowing up on his head than the damage to the headphones though.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
I play my bass through my 15 watt practise amp, it doesn't sound very good, but it hasn't seemed to harm it, I wouldn't try it with an amp I cared about, or a tube amp though.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2