Do I have to use "guitar polish"... or is there anything different about it vs. automotive wax?

I'm referring specifically to polish for finished wood, not unfinished/bare wood.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I suppose it depends on the guitar finish, using furniture polish on a nitro-cellulose finish could **** it i'd guess.
You don't have to. A guy at the local guitar shop says that any old wood polish works, some better than guitar-specific products.

However, you gotta make sure it's nothign abrasive and won't react with the finish (even that happens, usually on classical guitars). I don't know the exact chemicals, but there is stuff to avoid. Ask at your local store.

And a friend of mine uses saliva.
Quote by truespin
Do I have to use "guitar polish"... or is there anything different about it vs. automotive wax?

I'm referring specifically to polish for finished wood, not unfinished/bare wood.

i use car polish or guitar polish.
soft clean, polish rag, or you could get swirl marks.

both work nice on finished woods.

i use nitro safe polish on my nitro finished guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
3M Finess It II is used alot and is a car polish i think. maybe something from Minwax or Turlewax. Meguire's makes some Fender polish which works well.
I have a can of "bowling alley" paste wax that I've been using for years. It gives it a very glossy shine. I think any paste furniture polish and most car polishes will work just fine. I've used several auto paint scratch removers to remove light swirls before and never had a problem with any of them.
i use that murphy's oil soap, mix it in w/ some warm water, it works great. but make sure after you put it on wipe it off w/ a dry towel or some small streak marks 'll show up