in my band durin the solo the druns plays 5/4 time,the rhythm guitar 3/4 and the lead guitar 6/4 so they meet up at the 30th beat when the other guitarist takes over lead and i do rhythm and at beat 60 where we go back into the chorus.whats the name of this,i cant remember
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Polyrythmics.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
uhh... what? haha that sounds confusing
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
It's basically 2 time signatures played up against eachother, but ending on the same meassurement. I.e 3 vs 4.
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Quote by Mongochromat
Polyrythmics.

or polymetrics. they might just be all playing on different time signatures, not tempos. TS are u all playing different sextuplets or just changing the time sigs ?
Quote by Def
or polymetrics. they might just be all playing on different time signatures, not tempos. TS are u all playing different sextuplets or just changing the time sigs ?

True.
No, it's called "phasing".
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by Jearl
cant 3/4 and 6/4 be counted the same way? kind of like 4/4 and 2/4. not exactly the same, but really similar?

3/4 is simple time, while 6/4 is compound, the beat in 3/4 is a quarter note, in 6/4 its a dotted half note. You have to understand the rules about time sigs to think about them correctly, theyre not as easy as it looks. 4/4 and 2/4 are quite similar though, 4/4 is often thought of as two bars of 2/4, which is useful in phrasing.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

wer playin at the same tempo so the 6/4 bar is twice as long as the 3/4 bar
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

^ Nope, there's a reason. I think it's cool. Have you ever heard any Tool at all? Polyrhythms EVERYWHERE. I want to hear how this sounds!!

By the way, in 6/4, the quarter note gets the beat because it is a time sig over 4. Something with a dotted half as a beat would be x/8, x being a multiple of 3. Well, depends on the rhythm, I guess... If you feel like counting the dotted quarters, go ahead, it will have a different feel.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
Quote by utahotc
^ Nope, there's a reason. I think it's cool. Have you ever heard any Tool at all? Polyrhythms EVERYWHERE. I want to hear how this sounds!!

I think everyone has heard Tool. It all depends on whether it works though, it obviously sounds cool to say it, but musically, if it doesn't work, there's no point. Tool stuff generally works...generally.
sounds cool, but i dont know what its called. I know what you mean with meeting up on the 30th beat, it sounds cool. But whoever said 6/4 is compound time is wrong, 6/8 would be compound, but 6/4 has 6 quarter notes per measure, and the quarter is the beat.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by GD_GC
sounds cool, but i dont know what its called. I know what you mean with meeting up on the 30th beat, it sounds cool. But whoever said 6/4 is compound time is wrong, 6/8 would be compound, but 6/4 has 6 quarter notes per measure, and the quarter is the beat.

Ok so where did you learn that? Did you think that up yourself, I mean it makes sense doesnt it?

Please, just learn what different time sigs are! I can tell you that it IS compound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature
Quote by Robbie n strat

Quote by notoriousnumber
Ok so where did you learn that? Did you think that up yourself, I mean it makes sense doesnt it?

Please, just learn what different time sigs are! I can tell you that it IS compound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature

No, actually no. Do some research yourself. if it is /8, the beat is split into 3 eight notes, thus compound time. if it is /4, the beat is split into 4, thus regular time. So 6/4 is like 2 measures of 3/4 into one, in a way. and 3/4 is NOT compound time. 1+2+3+ as opposed to 1+a 2+a 3+a. Both can be rewritten to become the other, but 6/4=not compound 6/8= compound.

EDIT: read the article you linked me yourself, it tells exactly what im trying to tell you!
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by GD_GC
No, actually no. Do some research yourself. if it is /8, the beat is split into 3 eight notes, thus compound time. if it is /4, the beat is split into 4, thus regular time. So 6/4 is like 2 measures of 3/4 into one, in a way. and 3/4 is NOT compound time. 1+2+3+ as opposed to 1+a 2+a 3+a. Both can be rewritten to become the other, but 6/4=not compound 6/8= compound.

EDIT: read the article you linked me yourself, it tells exactly what im trying to tell you!

I have open my ABRSM grade 4 theory book. Under the column "Compound Time" there is 6/4 and 9/4 (its about grouping notes).

And, in the article it does not say what you are talking about, and it is wrong.

Seriously, there are other rules, dont go with intuition, because it gest complicated.

6/4 is 2 beats of dotted half notes. Dont argue

Edit: Heres a page that explains it all :http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory15.htm
Quote by Robbie n strat

Last edited by notoriousnumber at Oct 10, 2007,
dotted half notes? 2 beats of dotted half notes is FOR SURE 6/8. wow man, i believe you know your theory, i think you may be confused. what?
gone." - J.Lansdowne
what? i just went to that link, it also confirms what im saying, 3/4 and 6/4 are SIMPLE TIME!!!!!! 3/8 6/8 or 9/8 or ANYTHING/8 is COMPOUND!
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by GD_GC
what? i just went to that link, it also confirms what im saying, 3/4 and 6/4 are SIMPLE TIME!!!!!! 3/8 6/8 or 9/8 or ANYTHING/8 is COMPOUND!

Mate, not only are you being quite stubborn and arrogant, youre wrong.

3/4 is simple time, 3/8 is simple time, 6/4 is compound time, 6/8 is compound time. LEARN the rules first, then come back.

For gods sake, please just look at this :http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory15.htm
Quote by Robbie n strat

alright i did thoroughly read the article, i see what you are saying, but you are COMPLETLY misunderstanding it. please learn it before you just attack other people!
gone." - J.Lansdowne
and i read up on it more, ok i get what you are saying, with note grouping, what the equivilants of each are. I misunderstood, but at the same time, if you are referring to 6/4, USUALLY you mean simple, and 6/8 is USUALLY always compound. But i do understand now what you are saying, i apologize
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by GD_GC
alright i did thoroughly read the article, i see what you are saying, but you are COMPLETLY misunderstanding it. please learn it before you just attack other people!

Sorry, what part am I not understanding? Everything I have said has been correct.
Quote by Robbie n strat

ok im not trying to pick a fight man, it was a misunderstanding. I thought you were trying to tell me that 6 quarter notes in a measure was compound time. You are referring to different groupings. which are different. Im just talking about 6/4 as in 4 quarters. that is simple time. and2 groups of 3 eights is compound. but with what your saying, that COULD be notated at 6/4, while still being compound. i understand now, but when reading time sigs and rhythms, 6/4 is, as ive always seen it, simple, and 6/8 compound. its all good, i accept that i was wrong. simple misunderstanding, no need to get angry
gone." - J.Lansdowne
to set the record straight im playing simple 6/4
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by GD_GC
ok im not trying to pick a fight man, it was a misunderstanding. I thought you were trying to tell me that 6 quarter notes in a measure was compound time. You are referring to different groupings. which are different. Im just talking about 6/4 as in 4 quarters. that is simple time. and2 groups of 3 eights is compound. but with what your saying, that COULD be notated at 6/4, while still being compound. i understand now, but when reading time sigs and rhythms, 6/4 is, as ive always seen it, simple, and 6/8 compound. its all good, i accept that i was wrong. simple misunderstanding, no need to get angry

Ok, I understand what you meant. But Ive never heard of 6/4 being read as simple time, as you said one may as well use 2 bars of 3/4.

But seriously, it took me quite a while to understand the logic behind time sigs, and there are specific rules about how they are interpreted. Once you learn them, however, it makes life a hell lot easier.
Quote by Robbie n strat

yea and your rules are much different than the rules i learned. i guess we were just taught with different methods, cause ive ALWAYS heard anything with a 4 on the bottom as simple
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Can anyone point me to a specific song which uses polyrhythms? I'd like to find out what they sound like.

I guess I could always make a guitar pro tab, but odds are it'll sound bad.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
wow, ive been horribly misinformed. Ill be taking AP Music theory next year, i guess ill get it all straigtned out then.
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by Kailoq
Can anyone point me to a specific song which uses polyrhythms? I'd like to find out what they sound like.

Listen to some Meshuggah.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by Kailoq

Let Down by Radiohead is a really accesible song that uses polyrhythms. At the beginning, the guitar is in 3/4 and the drums are in 4/4.
Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Again, guitar is in 3/4 and drums are in 4/4
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by sTx
Listen to some Meshuggah.

Meshuggah don't use polyrythms(might have it in 1 or 2 songs). But I'm pretty sure they use polymetrics. Correct me if I'm wrong.
mastodon use them
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

No, Meshuggah use both. Most of the time, Tomas is playing one of the cymbals in 4/4, while everything else is in something crazy like 23/16.

Pretty much anything off Nothing (album) is a good example. Especially Rational Gaze.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"