Why did it have to go? Classic Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, Pantera, i could go on... Nowadays it's all Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage etc.
Ye i have respect for LOG, KSE.... but if you compare thim the classic metal, there 2 totally different sounds... how did metal turn into what it is today? Amazing how things change... anyone else miss classic metal?

Oh ye I know most of these bands are around, but there thrashish 80's sound has totally gone, still love them all though
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Metal is still as good (or better) than it was in the 80's; the only difference is that it's not as popular as it was. Now, the spotlight has been taken by ****ty, non metal bands, and people being the general dumb****s that they are decided to classify them as metal.

So rejoice, fellow metalhead, that good metal bands still exist! You may just have to make an effort to find them.
seems like you dont know what real metal. KSe and LOG drive influence more from hardcore/metalcore than actual heavy metal and its subgenres. There are plenty of good bands out today that have an 80's sound, you just need to look for it.
Quote by I,Voyager
Metal is still as good (or better) than it was in the 80's; the only difference is that it's not as popular as it was. Now, the spotlight has been taken by ****ty, non metal bands, and people being the general dumb****s that they are decided to classify them as metal.

So rejoice, fellow metalhead, that good metal bands still exist! You may just have to make an effort to find them.

This guy speakes the truth!

there's a lot great metal bands today
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Well, for one, bands like LoG and KSE aren't necessarily "metal." They're metalcore. (Combination of metal and hardcore.) But, all things change. Clothes, cars, music, people, computers, television, etc. etc. It just happens. In 20 years from now, those bands won't be so big anymore, if not done with. If you like the 80's bands, good for you, love what's left. But there are great "modern" metal bands these days. Probably not really the 80's thrashy sound you're talking about (or not much) but there are some good ones. And there's the classic thrash bands such as Overkill who have maintained their sound over the years.
Quote by I,Voyager

Born in 1991 and think he knows how it was in the 80's. (yeah, I'm not much older but I ain't making stupid statements). Metal is more popular today than it was in the 80's no question about it what-so-ever.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Maybe you just need to get into more metal. Theres a lot of good metal coming out today.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
I never liked anything in the 80's except for Iron Maiden.

Newer stuff FTW!
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
whops
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Last edited by Mongochromat at Oct 8, 2007,
haven't you heard of evolution ??

Same things happens in music as well. Can't stay the same for ever.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Mongochromat
Born in 1991 and think he knows how it was in the 80's. (yeah, I'm not much older but I ain't making stupid statements). Metal is more popular today than it was in the 80's no question about it what-so-ever.

i didnt say i knew anything about the 80s.. and 1993 actually but you know.. im talking about the kinda stuff what was considered metal in the 80s...
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Didn't write it to you either, it was to I Voyager hence the quoting of him.
Quote by DimebagJosho
i didnt say i knew anything about the 80s.. and 1993 actually but you know.. im talking about the kinda stuff what was considered metal in the 80s...

Well stop living in the past. Theres a **** load of good metal that came out in the 90s and has come out today.
Quote by mexicanmidget88

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

Quote by cliffemall123
Well stop living in the past. Theres a **** load of good metal that came out in the 90s and has come out today.

Sorry.. some men screaming doesn't really cut it, and please dont be all like 'OMG WHY WUD U SAY DAT BOUT LOG?' cuz as iv said, i have respect for them.. that sort of metal doesnt really appeal to me...
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Quote by cliffemall123

I personally think that the 90's metal up 'til now is the best. If you look at my favorite bands list on my profile, you'll notice how most of them started in the 90's.

And to the post above me, there are good modern metal bands that don't scream. Nevermore, for example. They take influence from thrash, power metal, progressive, just heavy metal, etc.
Quote by DimebagJosho
Sorry.. some men screaming doesn't really cut it, and please dont be all like 'OMG WHY WUD U SAY DAT BOUT LOG?' cuz as iv said, i have respect for them.. that sort of metal doesnt really appeal to me...

Well saying its "some men screaming" sounds pretty ignorant. You seem like the typical "I only listen to the Big 4, Pantera, and Black Sabbath" kind of person.
Quote by mexicanmidget88

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

R.I.P. George Carlin

Quote by Mudvayne_4_Life
I personally think that the 90's metal up 'til now is the best. If you look at my favorite bands list on my profile, you'll notice how most of them started in the 90's.

And to the post above me, there are good modern metal bands that don't scream. Nevermore, for example. They take influence from thrash, power metal, progressive, just heavy metal, etc.

+1, the 90s were good for metal.
Quote by mexicanmidget88

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

R.I.P. George Carlin

Quote by Mudvayne_4_Life

+1, the 90s were good for metal.
Quote by mexicanmidget88

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

R.I.P. George Carlin

Quote by DimebagJosho
Sorry.. some men screaming doesn't really cut it, and please don't be all like 'OMG WHY WUD U SAY DAT BOUT LOG?' because as I've said, I have respect for them.. that sort of metal doesn't really appeal to me...

That's what they all say, and I guarantee in a year you'll be like, "Omfg guyz did u hear teh new darktronymayemablelyimortalesuenilynecro cd! It pwns on so many levelz, liek teh screamz r teh ownage!!! olololo" LOG is metalcore, ripped off Testament so bad, and I despise them; one of the most overrated bands ever. I seriously don't know what all those fanboys see in them. They suck the whale wang in my opinion. I sounds to me like you haven't listened to much metal my friend, some Nevermore, or Iced Earth may change your mind about contemporary metal.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by AppleQueso
The threadstarter needs Iced Earth

+1 and some Machine Head's The Blackening, and Opeth, and maybe, aside from the guttural vocals, Amon Amarth.
Classic metal is way better than todays metal

Thats all that needs to be said
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
^Sorry, but you fail.

It's called evolution deal with it. That is not to say that classic metal is bad, I just think that today's metal kicks the **** out of old metal. Ne Obliviscaris>Black Sabbath.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
^yes, metal is as good these days as it's ever been imo. You just have to quit listening to the same regular old metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc. Clean vocals or not, you sometimes have to look past them and listen to the actual music that's going on behind them and appreciate a song just for that.
Well, I was only born in '87, but it seems to me like the majority of the metal bands who were popular in the 80's were glam metal and the big 4 thrash bands. I don't know about you guys, but I don't consider glam bands metal, so that's why I don't really believe that metal was mainstream even in the 80's, aside from the obvious thrash exceptions. The kind of metal that I think most people here listen to (death and black) existed back then too, but they were largely underground, as they are today.
I agree with both of you guys. Today's metal is awesome if you look for it, and the vocals do grow on you eventually. Yeah you're right yoozum, freaking Death was around in the early eighties, as was Mayhem, and a bunch of other bands. So yeah I guess if you consider those classic metal, then yes I like classic metal. That is not to say that I dislike contemporary metal, because it owns, you just have to look past all the MTV bs.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by Mongochromat

Hello dick. I'm here to tell YOU about the wonders of recorded information! Thanks to things like books, movies, recorded music (!) and the internet, we can find out things about an era that we ourselves did not take part in!

Yes, metal was more mainstream and popular in the 80s, at least in the States. Perhaps it was different in Norway, but if you were talking about Norway, you wouldn't (or shouldn't) have used such a broad, all encompassing statement.