Im a guitarist but want to have a go on the bass since I listen to a lot of RHCP and flea really is amazing. So basically Im considering buying a bass guitar and amp and maybe effects for home use only, no specific price range as I just want advice (I can save etc.) So any suggestions?

Thanks a lot UG
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Flea has used a J-Bass, so the colest ur gonna get to his tone w/out spending over 2 grand on guitar alone is a Squier Vintage Modified version of it. Not a fretless tho. As far as effects go, bassist dont use too many, maybe a wah or some sort of EQ or a distortion if u want one.
Fender Jazz should do the trick.

EDIT:^beat me to it
Quote by tubab0y
Real bassists play with their penis.

Wait, that came out wrong...

Quote by Jimbo999
Im a guitarist but want to have a go on the bass since I listen to a lot of RHCP and flea really is amazing. So basically Im considering buying a bass guitar and amp and maybe effects for home use only, no specific price range as I just want advice (I can save etc.) So any suggestions?

Thanks a lot UG

Yeah just like the other guys said - Fender Jazz bass. It's pretty much a sturdy, do-all bass.

As for effects, get a chorus, envelope filter, and maybe a distortion if you're planning to play funk-rock type stuff.
flea used a music man stingray (amazing bass) until californiacation i think (dont quote me)
then he got his sig modulus bass (even better but very expencive).....he used a jazz(very well rounded nice bass) for stadium arcadium but after that tour he decided it didnt cut it for what he needed and went back to modulus

so for flea those are the 3 to look at

Music man Stingray
Modulus Flea sig
Fender MIA Jazz

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Flea uses Gallien Krueger for his amps (great, reliable amps) he uses stingrays or modulus and for his effects... Q-Tron, Micro-Amp and an ODB-3
Last edited by treebranch13 at Oct 8, 2007,
You should get a Epiphone Thunder bird IV

Just kidding
a jazz bass would work prefectly in that situation.
Or you could try and save up for a musicman Bongo.
or a stingray.