Hey y'all... I just wanted a little feedback from anyone who has been playing for a while regarding comfort attainment... For the past couple of months I have been taking weekly lessons, and I practice a couple of hours every day... remaining motivated to learn as I slowly recognize progression. I understand that playing and improving is a life-long process, a process of which I am passionate in pursuing... I also understand, like anything being learned, that intensity of progression rests with the individual and should not be compared to others'... To get to the point (if you have trudged through this beginner's rambling)- does anyone recall when they became very comfortable with their guitar- meaning timing, note accuracy and picking accuracy, smooth chord progressions, and an overall sense of fluidity when playing...? A buddy of mine said he noticed this after about seven months of so, and though I am new- I can project myself to this level of comfort at some time in the not too distant future... Sorry for the novella, I think I may post random threads like this as a way to boost my motivation, especially at times on a musical plateau... Cheers to anyone reading this. Any reply would be appreciated. -Adam
Yup, i can relate to that. And coincidentally i feel I have just recently reached a new 'plateau' in playing blues-rock solos Cheers!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Well i've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, give or take a few months, can't actually remember when i properly started. anyway in answer to your question. I've become more happy with things like note accuracy and picking accuracy, however im still not very satisfied with my currently skill levels in these things as i find myself constantly wanting to play something that tests me more.

For me it's taken me a long time to become happy with my playing skills, however i think alot of that is to do with the level of players i know around me.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
sorry about that... I have a tendency to write that way... Summary: When did you realize that all your practice had taken you to a point when you could play somewhat consistently? (If you can remember a time)
Last edited by capp729 at Oct 8, 2007,
I did that with bass.
I was playing one day and I just put some rancid on and I followed it almost perfectly.
I was like. wut. because I had no clue I could play that fast (fingers) or knew chord theory well enough. But somehow I did it. It's a good feeling, but probably happens to everyone differently.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
From the very start of playing there's a definite point, arbitrarily somewhere around the 6 month mark, where things definitely "click"....you're still very much a beginner, but it's the point at which the basic mechanics of playing the guitar no longer feel awkward.

Until you reach that point it always feels a bit "wrong" in your hands, once you get past that point you can start to look beyond basic chordal stuff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^+1

yep six months noobs think I am a god now, especially when I use the whammy... been playing nearly 7 months
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Quote by capp729
does anyone recall when they became very comfortable with their guitar- meaning timing, note accuracy and picking accuracy, smooth chord progressions, and an overall sense of fluidity when playing...?

Adam,

Everyone is differant and you cannot grade your progress by your friend....or anyone for that matter. You will know when what you seek happens.

It took me about 10-12 months to get really comfortable with my guitar. That is to say, to be able to not struggle with the basics (fingering, slowness, etc.). It may take you less, or maybe more but that is not important. If you are truely at it for 2-3 hours a day, you will get to your goal in short order. Part of any string instrument is having the patients to reach your goal.

I would suggest simple chromatics and scales. Learn some simple solos and/or intros as well. Throw in some theory so you will understand (this is important!).

Relax, have fun, and you will become a guitarist in no time

Chris
Yeah, I think everyone's summed it up pretty well. I dunno, I'm my own worst critic, so while the guitar no longer feels ackward in my hands and the mechanics are pretty intuitive (about 6-7 months or so in,to answer your question), I don't know that I'll ever feel "comfortable" with my playing. *shrug* Then again I'm a different breed o' cat.
I really appreciate the feedback, everyone... It helps a lot, if you can relate.
I started when I was 5 so I don't really remember when I started getting comfortable with the guitar, but I was a fairly competent rythym player after about 5 years, then the tendon to the ring finger of my left hand was cut in an accident, had to be surgically re-attached, and that set me back to almost a beginner again. That was age 12. Took me several years go get it back so I could play smooth again and switch chords fast enough, along with modifying fingerings in some cases, since the fingers in the left hand were all affected, and don't want to do what your fingers do sometimes. To move the ring finger I have to move the middle and pinkie with it, no such thing as bending it by itself at the middle knuckle any more either. To make a barre E for example, I have to use the pinkie where most people use the ring finger, and back it up with the ring finger to get enough pressure to eliminate muffled or buzzing strings. Trying it with the ring finger, the normal way, is painful and difficult to create enough pressure to get a clean chord. Some chords that require a lot of stretch are impossible, the stretch is there to a degree, but it is very painful at the wrist. Painful enough to stop me...So after another 7 or 8 years, by the time I was 20 I was again a competent rythym player, had been in a couple of bands and was working on leads.

I probably worked on lead for another 10 years before I considered myself competent at it, able to copy a few Clapton leads, Stairway (the first one I ever tried), a few Joe Walsh things, Allman Brothers, Aerosmith, Bad Company, ZZ Top and so on and had started to improvise a bit. So I had probably been playing at least 20 years before I considered myself a "good" guitar player...I didn't know what to think when I was still thinking "man I suck at this" and people were telling me I belonged in a studio, the first time I heard that I was about 12 (before the tendon issue). Didn't know what to think, so I decided the guy wouldn't know a good guitar player if he got body slammed by one...I sure wasn't.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by steven seagull
From the very start of playing there's a definite point, arbitrarily somewhere around the 6 month mark, where things definitely "click"....you're still very much a beginner, but it's the point at which the basic mechanics of playing the guitar no longer feel awkward.

Until you reach that point it always feels a bit "wrong" in your hands, once you get past that point you can start to look beyond basic chordal stuff.

Gah, Steven, you make me feel slow. I didn't really feel that until the 16 month mark, much less the 6th!
ive only been playing 1 1/2 yrs. but ive reached that mark... hmm probably about month 7 or 8 i was comfortable... by then i had learned all my techniques, i just had to master them (harmonics, tapping, hammer ons and pull offs, sweep picking, some theory, reading music, the different parts of a guitar)... i love playing guitar!
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Gah, Steven, you make me feel slow. I didn't really feel that until the 16 month mark, much less the 6th!

I was lucky in that I was pretty focussed and just concentrated on getting the absolute basics sorted - we're not talking anything exciting here, it was 6 months to get to the point where my hands didn't say "WTF???" every time i pickud up the guitar...I still couldn't play very much of anything
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ive been playing around 6 months and i can relate to that,starts to really make sense
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
it took me over 6 months to actually feel confortable playing guitar (pretty basic stuff)

it gets more and more confortable over the years
Quote by deluxity
it gets more and more confortable over the years

...and that is the most comforting thing I have heard