Epiphone Zakk Wylde Buzz Saw sig w/ EMG 81/85
Squire crap
Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass
ESP/LTD TA-600 Tom Araya sig bass
Vox AD30VT
Fender Bassman 100
Line6 POD X3
Boss ME-50
I don't shred, but I know Jazz III's would be good for it, and there's probably going to be a million recommendations to use it...
Last edited by T!AN at Oct 8, 2007,
I think lots of people like the jazz 3 picks. I just got some yesterday and they are small but once you get used to the size they are definitely versatile. For me its easier to play faster and do pinch harmonics with them easier.
jazz 3..the black ones though, they last longer and have better friction on the string..
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
sextuplets at 180?

like 6 notes per bleep of the metronome at 180 bpm? like 18 notes per second?

isnt that impossible? or am i real noob at shredding
seems pretty ridiculous, are you sure you mean sextuplets at 180? if i recall the record for speedpicking is like below 230 at sixteenth notes, and your sextuplets would be equivalent to sixteenth notes at 270bpm? hmm.. just doesnt add up
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by .fallen
seems pretty ridiculous, are you sure you mean sextuplets at 180? if i recall the record for speedpicking is like below 250 at sixteenth notes, and sextuplets would be 375bpm? hmm.. just doesnt add up

i think it'd be more like 16ths at 270.

but it's nowhere near impossible.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366820

and they're just the people who have recorded it in a song and not just going for all out speed
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by bobsyouraunt
sextuplets at 180?

like 6 notes per bleep of the metronome at 180 bpm? like 18 notes per second?

isnt that impossible? or am i real noob at shredding

ofcourse it was an exaggeration lol
I'm a proud owner of
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Buzz Saw sig w/ EMG 81/85
Squire crap
Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass
ESP/LTD TA-600 Tom Araya sig bass
Vox AD30VT
Fender Bassman 100
Line6 POD X3
Boss ME-50
Quote by teh_shredmaster

look up a post, it's not impossible

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by teh_shredmaster

Just in case you can't be bothered to follow the link the guy who's the fastest on that list clocks in at 33 nps and a lot of the people on it hit 19 nps with little problem.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm.
The teardrop shape and thickness make them incredible effective.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Whatever I find on the floor.
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG

If they're good enough for Trooch, they're good enough for me.

Also, they are just so damn small and precise. If God ever made a tiny piece of plastic, it was the fockin' Jazz III
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by The_Crumpet
you could find the pick of destiny

I have one
Well the thick plastic replica that came with the D movie soundtrack. I highly doubt you could play anything with it seeing as its gotta be 5mm+ thick with no edge

I've been trying out a number of different picks lately and I picked up some Jazz IIIs. Although I can't play that fast they did offer tighter control while playing fast. Using them however will not turn you into a shredder magically.
i dont "shred" but i can play fast. i use dunlop tortex 1.0 or 1.14. i find the tone from the smaller picks like the jazz picks give a thin sound while picks like the ones i use give a rounder fuller sound. the sharper smaller picks are suposed to make it easier to go fast but i never noticed much of a difference. i like the feel of the tortex better actually.
Just in case you can't be bothered to follow the link the guy who's the fastest on that list clocks in at 33 nps and a lot of the people on it hit 19 nps with little problem.

and the next link from that thread says it actually turned out to be little more than 17.8 notes per second...

33 notes per second is bull, really is.

btw can you actually do sextuplets in 180 cause thats pretty dam sweet

**** no.

fastest ive seen petrucci get to was summit like 16th notes at 210 bpm about and gilbert with sextuplets at about 132 bpm.

but thats beside the point. jazz III rule.
Depending on what is closer, a Jazz 3 or a stubby 3m...

Jazz 3s are fast as ****!

And great for Pinch Harmonics!
nothing better than a 3mm purple stubby
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by bobsyouraunt
fastest ive seen petrucci get to was summit like 16th notes at 210 bpm about and gilbert with sextuplets at about 132 bpm.

Since when were Petrucci and Gilbert the be-all end-all of speed? Try checking the rest of the list.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Jazz 3's.

PS Metalmilitia : "Oooh Loooove, it's a way of feeling, Love, make room for breeding!"

Good damn song.

This man knows what he's talking about .

I can't stand jazz III's though, I don't see why everyone loves them. They kill my pinch harmonics .
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
This man knows what he's talking about .

I can't stand jazz III's though, I don't see why everyone loves them. They kill my pinch harmonics .

It's all in the feeling of them. I hated them when I first tried them out - I couldn't strum without hurting my hand, I couldn't hit the strings, I could barely pick to save my life. After about a week of trying they just became completely natural, and it became even easier to hit pinch harmonics than ever before.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Dunlop Big Stubby 3 mm

+1 on that.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by bobsyouraunt
and the next link from that thread says it actually turned out to be little more than 17.8 notes per second...

33 notes per second is bull, really is.

**** no.

yes but there are other people on that list several of which get speeds of over 20nps and 13 on there that get higher than 18nps.

the speeds you're talking about aren't anywhere near impossible.

Quote by element4433
I like Jazz III at times, very fast and precise picks, but currently I've got the Dunlop Tortex sharps - plenty small and also plenty fast, damn nice picks too. After a bit of acclimatisation you become at one with Jazz IIIs. I hate going back to big picks, so imprecise.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Page 1 of 2