So...I've been playing with a band for a while (just covers), and we'd like to start writing our own material..suggestions? what do you guys do?

..I alredy know that it's a different process for different people, but i'd like to know how you do it..
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Well i ain't in a band currently however with my old band mates we used to just get together and jam. Throw ideas about and see what comes up. I think in a way it's important to have a whole unit work on a song as appose to one person writing the majority, as what happens in many bands.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I just go with what comes into play musically.

If I find the proper lyrics for a song,I'll save them somewhere.Doesn't mean I have to instantly put them to use,and the same applies for the instrumental aspect.Just peice together what you think flows properly,and you should be content.

But that's just me.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
i sit down/stand up and it comes to me

unfortunately im not joking. it happens randomly usually at the worst times, so i have to carry manuscript paper with me, or at least paper, on which i can notate my music.

that probably didnt help. maybe you'd like to just jam together, work out a very very basic structure (intro, verse, chorus) or sth like that. then keep jamming and say HOMG THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR THE INTRO/VERSE/CHORUS then just keep adding to it, when you get an idea just throw it out. throwing it out being the kind where you propose it, not dispose of it.
i have a 'white guitar'
Well I would put myself in a room with no distractions. Come up with a few melodies, put them into guitar! then show to band members and we all build on em! Its hard to say really! Inspiration! Listen to artists you would never listen to!
Quote by False_God
Well I would put myself in a room with no distractions. Come up with a few melodies, put them into guitar! then show to band members and we all build on em! Its hard to say really! Inspiration! Listen to artists you would never listen to!

In my case, a room with distractions and an acoustic guitar is just what i need to write a song.
Looking for a new sig!
i just write something when it pops in my head, and later get more ideas and keep adding them on, everytime i make myself write music, it comes out crap, so i dont rush myself. take your time. whats the point of having a whole bunch of songs if they all suck.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")