I've been playing for 2 years now and well,i've been practicing this for a while. Oh say a year now, i made some progress but very little. My fretting figures are more than fast enough but, my picking hand seems to be very slow. Any tips or techniques i should know of other than practice practice practice?
I tend to use wrist movement when picking, for me it gets the most accuracy and speed. But that might just be me! Also practice scales with alternate picking. It's a good way to practice.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by bow3022
I've been playing for 2 years now and well,i've been practicing this for a while. Oh say a year now, i made some progress but very little. My fretting figures are more than fast enough but, my picking hand seems to be very slow. Any tips or techniques i should know of other than practice practice practice?

Constantly practice with a metronome. You should also practice strumming cause that helps you build strenght and stability in your right hand. Try to learn riffs that challenge your picking technique, for example Battery by Metallica. Isolate every kind of exercise possible. Try to practice individually downstroke picking and upstrokepicking cause this also builds stamina and strenght in the wrist and in the muscles that are use for picking techniques. Anyway you shouldn't always rely solely on alternate picking if you want to try different types of attacks and take advantage of the"tonal qualities" offered by every kind of stroke. Also practice different kinds of exercises: single string picking, alternate string picking,string skipping picking. Practicing different scales also help develop picking technique. My suggestion is that you practice the cromatic scales, the pentatonic scale, and some type of diatonic scale (Mayor Scale,minor scale,etc) with a metronome. Build up speed slowly and pay attention to every small movement you make while picking.
I understand Down and up picking but, i want to alternate pick and eventually learn how sweep pick.
Quote by bow3022
I understand Down and up picking but, i want to alternate pick and eventually learn how sweep pick.

The advice is still perfectly valid: start slow and build up speed slowly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by bow3022

It doesn't matter. Practicing those two strokes separately will give you a much better and stronger foundation for alternate picking. For example lets take the main riff to Metallica's Blackened. First pratice it slow only using down strokes(the way it was meant to be done) and build speed from there. Then do the same only with upstrokes (it's gonna be a little more difficult this way so start even slower if necessary) And Finally repeat the process using alternate picking. You should be able to flow with the exercise better this way. Note: always use the metronome when building speed. You can apply this method to any exercise or riff you like.
Quote by CelestialChaos
The gallops in Battery are alternate picked..

Yep.. well it's not strict alternate picking cause they always start with a down stroke. Now that I think of it... a kickass riff for practicing alternate picking is the main riff to Fight Fire with Fire, you may want to look into it...